Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

It's Time to Go

Won't you take me to Slumpyville? What's Slumpyville? It's that period after the holidays when you are back to a full work week, your co-workers (and you) are in a pissed off mood, you look with desperation at your 401K account balance, your Social Security balance (and the amount of time left to work and what your monthly payout would be if you retire at 62 or 67), and the PTO calendar.


After having a full week off for Christmas and a partial week off for New Years, it's hard to be jerked out of my sleep coma at 5:45am, to trek the 50 mins to work across two counties, to hear the annoying sounds of people around me that I had almost forgotten about during my blissful time off, and then commute home another hour. It's routine, it's monotonous, it's Slumpyville.


During my time off from work I had some time to think about our future. This isn't a reflection post or a New Year's resolution thing. It may be prompted by the fact that I'm turning 43 next week. But most likely my Jack Handy deep thoughts are attributable to seeing my maternal grandparents and how they are living in their mid 80s. I don't think they are financially secure (they aren't in dire straights and eating cat food but could be much more secure than they currently are) and they sure as heck aren't digging each other's company in their golden years. They've gone rogue, I tell ya. And over Christmas break I experienced first hand Grandma's memory decline.


Up until the grand'rents (that's short for "grandparents" for all you non-hipsters) decided to take a break from each other, I was on the track of paying off my debt a little bit at a time. No house disaster (upstairs AC handler flooded our spare bedroom carpet on New Year's day - Bono lied - all was not quiet on New Year's day!) was cause for concern for me to make any extra effort. I was content to just keep going at a snail's pace. Nothing has really ever moved me to get out of a habit I had created so long ago. And from observation and conversation, it seems my grandfather and I might actually share the same unfortunate views on spending, money, and living beyond our means. Although my life didn't flash before my eyes, I saw through my grandparents what my life could become if I keep on the same path.


So I sat down with my monthly financial spreadsheet and did some real digging as to what I could reasonably tackle. I've determined paying off the smallest credit card balance would bring me greater victory at a much quicker rate than trying to tackle it all at once or the cards with the highest balance. And it has!
I went after the outstanding medical bills first (I was hospitalized in Sept. for a kidney stone and had a bout of eczema in June where I had two biopsies done on my left arm). I also managed to pay off two store credit cards. In mid-Jan, I'll be done with another two. I even managed to find a way to start saving for the house disaster things (the AC is working for now - but we know we need a new unit).


And after draining my 401K account in 2012 for the CT and FL houses, plus the move back to FL, I've been steadily putting money away for retirement and I'm getting a healthy balance once again. This will also be the first tax year where neither one of us has changed jobs, moved, taken a distribution, etc. Should be smooth sailing when filing taxes this year.


In 2014, I stepped away from my blog for about 5 months. It was liberating. I understand how Young House Love feels now. I'm actually considering doing this again. Actually I'm considering reinventing my blog into a DIY/home improvement blog. I've never monetized my blog. That's not why I do this. But for those of us that don't reap the benefit of sponsors, partners, collaborations, etc., it can be tough on our wallets to stay current and relevant. And you all know that my focus has definitely shifted from fashion to home improvements/DIY. Honestly, if I had the education and experience in Interior Design, that's what I would be doing full time. That's what really speaks to me. I love working on our house. I love combing through Pinterest for ideas and taking an idea in my head and executing it in a room in our house. However, my audience isn't really interested in those things. And why would you be? This was a fashion blog for over 2 years. It was me buying and wearing real clothes, not high end freebies that came with false-positive reviews that so many bloggers provide with the "this was sponsored but the opinion is all mine" bullshit tagline. The fact is when I post outfit pics, you all respond. When I proudly display a home project that took me a week or months to do - crickets. And that's fine. You all are my fashion audience, not my DIY audience. But people evolve and interests change. I'm getting a little too old to keep taking pics of myself in different outfits. It's not fun anymore. I look ridiculous coming to work all decked out and feel pressured at 5:45am to wear something exciting and new for you. So it's time for me to hang this blog up to dry. I hope you all really have enjoyed the ride with me. I'll keep the blog up for any inspiration and if I decide to switch over to a DIY blog, I'll let you all know. Thank you so much for following me since 2011.


Feel free to email me or even become a Facebook friend. For the first time ever, I'm giving you all my contact info. I know that exposes me but you all have been very kind through the years and not at all creepy or stalkerish. LOL!
Take care!
Niki


Email: foodandwinegal@gmail.com
Facebook: Niki Branson Delehant


*And yes, I stared at this post for quite awhile before I pushed "Publish."



Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. Well said and best wishes for whatever you decided to pursue :-)

    Monica, www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica. It's been a fun ride but time to move on. And I just learned that I will be working from home exclusively for a few months until the new building is ready to move into. So it's good timing. I'll be able to get a little more sleep, feel more connected to my husband and "kids," and use the 2 extra hours each day to focus on house projects. Thanks for being a loyal follower! Good luck with your blog.
      Niki

      Delete
  2. I totally understand everything you just said. Sometimes it's nice to just step back and take a break. I would love for you to take your space into a lifestyle/DIY direction. Y'all eat some pretty fantastic places and I'm always interested to see what you've been up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meghan. My only hesitation is the amount of posts I would have to come up with for a DIY blog. I'm afraid I might just be trading one animal for another. But it would be nice to have a place to put pics of my finished projects. Kind of like a portfolio of my work in case I ever decided to pursue interior design. ;-) I need to step back and think about it and decide if I want to really do another blog. It's a lot of work, especially if you don't just take and post pics. The writing can take 1-2 hours alone. And I'm a writer so I don't think I'd ever just be able to be one of those bloggers that just lets the pics speak for themselves. Thanks again for following me!
      Niki

      Delete
  3. Niki, I was pleased to see you were blogging again and your home posts were my favourite. I think you have wonderful taste and are so creative. I can't imagine the work and constant pressure bloggers must feel....so understand why you would take a break. Enjoy your hiatus and reach out when you resume.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tricia! Don't worry, got a new DIY blog in development. Stay tuned...
      Niki

      Delete
  4. I have enjoyed your fashion blog and look forward to your DIY blog. Good luck with everything! Btw, I know what you mean about slumpyville...been there all week. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for following my blog. The DIY blog is in the works. Working on the layout and logo. stay tuned!
      Niki

      Delete
  5. Very honest and realistic view -- like your fashion and DIY! Good luck and be happy! I was pretty excited when I saw you posting again... loved your marble post..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After having the summer off and then posting again, I felt renewed to start posting again but I didn't really get the same high as I did when I used to post fashion pics. I knew it just wasn't me anymore. And I knew my love of fixing up my house was exciting and something I wanted to keep doing. So bear with me while I ramp up the new site.
      Niki

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Not to worry - I'm posting again at the new blog that fits my lifestyle a little better now. Come on over to www.southerncolonial.blogspot.com!
      Niki

      Delete