Pages

Monday, November 17, 2014

Loafin' Around

Was a bit of a house bum this weekend. Sometimes I just need some nesting time at home where I cook, read, watch TV, joke around with the hubs, possibly skip a shower, etc. This was one of those weekends. And it was Ribfest weekend, too. I usually never skip Ribfest. But the hubs and I just weren't feeling it. We also live an hour away from downtown St. Petersburg so that might have had something to do with it. But... my company finally signed the lease on our building in Tampa. And it will shave 14 miles off my commute. It's a much more manageable 21 mile one-way commute and the move-in will happen sometime in February.

As you may recall from this post, I broke down and bought a Le Crueset 4.5 quart dutch oven. Best. Kitchen. Cookware. Purchase. Ever! Seriously. This thing rocks. Nothing sticks to it. And one of the main reasons I got it was to try this recipe. Yeah, I know. Pretty expensive pot for one recipe. I've also cooked a couple of chicken dishes in it this past week. So it's definitely getting used. I wasn't sure if I could pull off this bread recipe but once I took the lid off after baking for 30 minutes, I did an Elaine dance and exclaimed to hubby, "I'm a hipster artisan bread maker!"  Now if only I liked kale.

Okay so this bread is really crusty and chewy but quite tasty. And I'm wondering if a little bit of sugar would enhance the taste even more. Here are some tips. Make sure to really flour the surface, follow the directions, and don't overmix the dough. Oh and if you have cats and decide to go to Walmart, don't leave the bread on the counter, in a Ziplock gallon-sized bag. Cause the bastard cats will tear into it and leave the remnants all over the kitchen floor and then look up at you when you come home and stick their tongue out at you.







Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Well, I'll be. I never thought you could cook bread in a cast iron pot! I also have a Le Crueset dutch oven and love it - and yes, best pan purchase ever. It does clean well, but one time I couldn't get it clean and bought the Le Creuset 12-Ounce Enameled Cast-Iron Cleaner from Amazon and it worked perfectly.

    Monica, www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Appearently the pot creates a steam environment for all that yeast. I did try this with lemon juice, rosemary, and lemon zest yesterday and the results weren't the same. Didn't rise as much and the bread was denser. Next time I won't squeeze in the lemon juice.
      Niki

      Delete
  2. Nice to see you back blogging, Niki.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tricia. It's nice to be back. Not doing too much fashion but just writing about waft interests me and what's happening in my life now. Hope that's ok with everyone.
      Niki

      Delete