Pages

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Updates

So I left the blogging world for awhile. Needed a break. Not sure if I'm coming back regularly to the blog but I'll update it from time-to-time. In the meantime, you can follow my Pinterest boards if you'd like. I'm on there daily, pinning inspirations (not the same as perspiration). And because of my wacky work schedule so I can beat traffic (we move into a new building 10 miles closer in Feb), I have abandoned my blow dryer and flat iron and have finally embraced my naturally curly hair. Ta-da!



Let's see... when I last left off, we had a new rescue puppy. Well, she's all grown up and in college now. Pre-med. She weighs around A-FREAKING-LOT. My guess is around 25-30lbs. She's super hyper and whiny when she has to be crated, or in this case, a large pen situated in our dining room. But we love her so much. She is such a good girl and so lovey. She adores other dogs and tolerates cats. Putting cat heads in her mouth makes her feel pretty happy.

 
 

And that's my segue into our other rescue story. We had a very busy summer. My sister adopted a cat for my nephew and not wanting to be outdone by my baby sister, I asked the hubs if we could also get a cat. Not wanting to be outdone by his sister-in-law, he exclaimed, "Let's get 2!" So yes, we ended up adopting two cats from St. Francis Rescue in the Tampa Bay area.

I now present to you Mr. Nutmeg and Sir Fender (or Fen Fen, but not Phen Phen cause that was outlawed).



And here's what the little bastards have done to our beadboard wallpaper THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE HOUSE.


I'm slowly replacing every inch of it with the real stuff. I really need a nail gun and compressor to finish the walls.


And how are the home improvements coming, you may ask? Well I started tackling the kitchen again. I'm putting an industrial/shabby chic spin on it. I know it's not for everyone, but I really wanted open shelving so that everything is out in the open. Our round ceiling pot rack wasn't working. Unfortunately, we have low ceilings and I needed to find a solution that would work. So I tore out the upper cabinets on one side of our kitchen, filled in the holes in the drywall, spackled, sanded, painted, and hung our new stainless steel Ikea shelves.

I also started ripping off the yucky, greasy, decade old (or more) thermofoil on the base cabinet doors. I primed the doors and painted them in Benjamin Moore Simply White. Inside the cabinets, I added some pull out Rev-a-Shelf chrome inserts for spices and pot lids. I also added some Ikea dividers in one cabinet for baking pans.




We actually discovered a ceiling exhaust hole when I removed the upper cabinets over the stove and was elated for about a day cause I could finally have a European exhaust hood and call myself fancy pants. But because of a prior kitchen upgrade, the base cabinets were shifted so the hood would be off center. And to add more insult to my wounds, once again the ceilings are too low. So I dragged my arse to Lowe's and looked for a cover. Ended up getting an air conditioner return as I couldn't find any exhaust hood covers.

The butcher block will be going away. It was a cheap Ikea $10 block but is starting to warp. A 16x20 marble pastry slab is coming thanks to a major sale and free shipping at Sur la Table. And I'd like to replace the cutting board with one that is thicker and raised off the countertop.

I think one of the best things I did was relocate my office chalkboard down to one of the kitchen walls. We scribble grocery list items and then I take a pic of it with my phone right before I head to the store. No more little lost papers. Oh and side note, don't ever ask a young Staples kid where chalkboard erasers are unless you want this answer, "Chalkboard? I haven't used one of those since I was a kid." Whatever, just show grandma where to find it.

And yes, that vent is held on by tape. Those vent covers are $100!


And since we are now a family of six and I'm feeding the animals three different kinds of dry food, I headed to Tarjay for more Heritage glass jars and Etsy for distressed mini *gasp* chalkboards.

 
 
And lastly, we have updated 3 out of 4 of our appliances. New mini microwave on a shelf so that the European toaster oven can once again be used (it hadn't been used since moving from Connecticut), a new GE range, and a new Whirlpool dishwasher. I'll be doing more updates next year (after the holidays). I'm consulting with a cabinet maker for butcher block countertop installation and a new sink! Then we'll invest in a new fridge. At that point, I think I'll be done with this room.
 
 



Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. Nice to see you back!! Love the natural hair look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's much easier to do and allows for more sleep time!
      Niki

      Delete
  2. HEY!!! You and the Kitchen look GREAT! Thanks for the updates--missed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. Thanks so much! I appreciate that.
      Niki

      Delete
  3. i missed YOU !! Thanks for the Updates and keeping ist real (as always)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I thought you all would have long moved on but all of ya stayed with me. That's terrific! Thanks so much!
      Niki

      Delete
  4. I love the curly hair!!! I think it suits you perfectly. Congrats on all the new animals in your life. Be thankful the cats just cause claw damage and haven't decided to pee on your entire carpet instead. THAT is something that never goes away, regardless of how many thousands of dollars you spend on cleaning. I can attest to that! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The hair is a lot easier to do. Just wash, put some goop in it, and go. I haven't started my blow dryer in 3-4 months. And I'm just gonna let it keep growing. Well now that you've mentioned cat pee - it's an unfortunate part of our upstairs. You are correct. Can't get rid of the smell. Can mask it, but can't totally get rid of it. Thankfully there is no carpet downstairs. We ripped up all of it. And so far, no problems with the kitties.
      Niki

      Delete
  5. Welcome back!! I would periodically check to see if had you returned. There's been bloggers i.e. Callandra at Petite Early Morning Style that never blogged again :( P.S. I love your natural curly hair. You look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know. I miss her very much. From time-to-time I check her blog, too. Got a lot of inspiration from her and she's just so darn adorable. Wish she had mentioned why she left. But I think that people can only blog for so long before other interests take hold, they start a family, or they just get tired of it. It's a lot of work. I spend at least 2 hours on every blog post. I take an average of 60 pictures per post and narrow them down to just a few. Then I correct them in Photoshop, upload them to Photobucket, and incorporate into Blogger. The writing takes another hour or so. My typical day with all the animals and work starts at 5:45am. When I get home at 5, I spend a little time with them, make dinner, spend more time with Cookie either walking or throwing the ball in the back yard. Cleaning up the litter box, dishes, taking out trash, and trying to fit in some time with the hubs... it's 8 or 9pm before I have some time to myself. I'm typically in bed by 10:30. So fitting in time to blog, that's a challenge now. So I totally get why people leave the blogging world when they have babies, change careers or routines, etc. I'll try to keep posting. Not sure about doing anymore outfit posts, but I love to write so hopefully that will keep y'all entertained. Thanks for sticking with me.
      Niki

      Delete
  6. glad u r back...was missing your updates- kitchen looks great- impressed with your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I write when I feel I have something to share with y'all. This week I have a couple of DIY projects to share and my Gap jean preferences. :-)
      Niki

      Delete