Pages

Monday, March 24, 2014

Lucky Antique Find

This past weekend was the first weekend that I didn't think about work or even take home my work laptop. I did what I wanted to do and it was fabulous! I headed out Saturday morning to do some bargain shopping - cash only. Told my husband I was going thrifting. I headed to my favorite antique shop. Just as I was about to leave empty handed for the first time, there it was. The very thing I was not expecting to find but had been scoping on craigslist and Amazon. Hubby and I just had a conversation about a dome or round pot rack that I wanted to hang from the center of the kitchen ceiling. I emailed a person on craiglist as they had one they were offloading this past weekend via  a garage sale but they never responded. Not wanting to make the hour drive, I found one online that I would buy next weekend for $85.

And then I looked up and there it was. And it was $28 and just the perfect size for the handful of pots and pans we have. I sent a pic to hubby and snatched that thing up. I then headed to Lowe's to grab a hook to screw into the ceiling stud, as well as an S hook. Got a couple of possibilities before we settled on the short, stubby one that will hold 150 lbs. Not being able to find our stud finder, we knocked around on the ceiling, turned off the power and drilled a whole into the middle. And we got lucky. Hit wood, not drywall. Yay! That's how we roll.

And yes, I have banged my head once. So I had to rearrange the longer pans to the back.

So this is the first step in creating a kitchen that functions for the way we live and not for how it was designed. I plan to list the nook pub table and the other pot rack, which we took down, on craigslist this week so we can put the money toward new Ikea storage cabinets to give us a little more pantry space.

Oh, and the floors - they will be installed mid April. As I was sitting down yesterday to sign the contracts, hubby had a change of mind and told me to go for the high gloss cherry laminate, which is the one we really love, rather than the hickory one that were a bit too rustic for our taste. And the best part - discounted installation cost and then 10% off the entire order when I got to the register as the flooring associate realized he hadn't given me back my $35 measurement credit. So instead he credits us $300. God, I love Lowe's!

 








 
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. What a fabulous find. It looks prefer in your kitchen.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Can't wait til we can redo the kitchen and get some marble countertops installed!
      Niki

      Delete
  2. Lovely to see a posting. How exciting for you. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tricia. I'm not blogging on Fashion at Forty anymore. I moved a lot of my house posts over to the new site today. Take a look: www.southerncolonial.blogspot.com.
      Niki

      Delete