Pages

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Ch-Ch-Changes

Did you all have a nice New Year's? We stayed put. Had a nice dinner of grilled shrimp and baked potato and then realized we were wayyy hungry a couple hours later. "Wings!" I exclaimed. But at 9:00, Beef 'O Brady's was closing. Not wanting to go too deep into town and risk getting hit by crazies, I headed to Chili's near our neighborhood. Not the best, but it quenched our need for appetizers. I also stopped off at Hess for a forty. Not a fashion at forty, but a Smirnoff the size an old wino would carry around in a brown bag while hanging out at the Quicky Mart. It's all they had. So I stood there with my crazy hair and paint stained elastic pants cradling my enormous flavored beer while people paid for gas and beer.

And I didn't even make it til midnight. Headed upstairs and fell asleep at 11:30. Good God, I'm old. Five years ago we were counting down the seconds while watching the ball drop in Times Square. And this year? Watching Miley get all freaky with her little wrecking ball backup dancer. Fun.

So what's all this about changes? New Year's resolutions? Nahhh. Although I do plan to get financially healthier this year. This has to do with what's working and what's not in our house. We've been in it for five months and now that almost all the rooms are painted and somewhat decorated, functionality is prevailing. So the kitchen nook - wasted space. We never use the pub table and it takes up space and feels crowded. So hubby will be using it in his man cave, which we are currently using as the living room.  When we redo the kitchen in a few years, I plan to use the nook as pantry space.

Next up. My vanity/workout room. Working! Love it! The vanity desk is great, the space for the treadmill is great. What isn't working? My closet in the master bedroom. I've adjusted my hours at work to make for a better commute to work. I now get up at 5:30am. My hubby works from home and doesn't need to log on until 8:30. Turning on a bright light to pick out my clothes in the morning or trying to plan an outfit the night before just isn't working. So I gave up my closet tonight. Hubby now has the two master bedroom closets. Wait! What? I know. I know. But here's where things are about to get so much better. Enter Ikea Pax Wardrobes!

ikea pax wardrobe | SweetHome | Sweetspot.ca
Source: http://weheartit.com/entry/18716716

Not a walk-in closet, my friends, but a walk-in room! Awww yeah! Who's crying over losing a master closet now? Not me. So what will be the configuration?

These Target Cubeicals will be going bye bye. Well, they'll probably come on over to my office.



No! The beautiful wall of purses and shoes. Where will they go? In their own unit on the opposite wall. And my shirts and pants will go into two large units where the purses and shoes now reside. Similar to this setup, yet without all the Hello-I'm-A-Five-Year-Old-Woman-Kitty.


Source: http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags-and-purses/storage-in-a-ikea-pax-wardrobe-522281.html

And guess who suggested this transformation? My lovely hubby. When we first moved into the house, he suggested I make one of the rooms into a walk-in room closet. How lucky am I? So stay tuned for the walk-in room transformation that will be going down over the next couple of months.




Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a dream! Happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lissy! And happy early bday!
      Niki

      Delete
  2. Happy new year! Your plans for a closet/workout/makeup DRESSING room sound absolutely fabulous! I am already looking forward to the transformation photos.

    When we bought our sweet little home a buncha years ago we had a funny little room off our master bedroom that we turned into a glorious closet. My (jealous) girlfriends refer to it as the 'Tajma Closet'!

    Good luck with yours!

    Carolyn from Cincinnati

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That's awesome! Phase 1 will be saving for the base units as I need 3 of them at $100 each. The problem is that we'll have to rent a truck to get them. They are 96" long in the box and very heavy so my car will not work to transport them. Unfortunately, we don't know of anyone with a pickup truck so it's on us to get them out of Ikea. If I had a means to transport them now, I would just get one unit and its components and fix them up one at a time. So the transformation will probably take a couple of months. I'm also measuring and looking at different configurations that will work. I'm trying to decide if I want to get the pants rack or just the regular bars that my shirts will hang on. I also need drawer space for bras and undies, tees, and night clothes. So stay tuned over the next few weeks to see how it all plays out. :-)
      Niki

      Delete
  3. Doyou want the pax because it has doors? If so, ignore the rest, but if not...I turned a spare 10x10 room in our old house into my closet/vanity as well. I used a closet system from target that looks sort of like the shelves you have there. There was a single center tower, two hanging racks on one side and one on the other. I also added a buncho fht shoe shelves and an ikea dresser. I did not have a treadmill in there (but we had a basement for that stuff) and basically circled the room with that unit from target, stacked shoe storage and the dresser. An over the door hanger worked for large bags, a long chunk of PVC pipe for scarves. For sure less than $300.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no. I'm not totally sold on the Pax units. I'd love to see your closet room. Let me know if you can send me some pics and I'll give you my email address.
      Niki

      Delete
    2. I posted a whole giant response and its gone...ugh, well. Anyway closet organizer from target on one wall (wall to wall), shoe shelves under windows, 2-3 high?, tall ikea dresser flanked by the same shleves you have now, rarely used stuff in small hall way closet (ski jacket, a billion tote bags), three way mirror off craigs list on one wall with small, short table in front for hair/make up, big jewelry box on dresser.

      no pics...old house and I can't imagine why I have no pics, but I looked an I dont'!

      Delete