Pages

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Just add a skinny jean!

So I've been sick in bed for the last couple of days. Caught an airborne cold from a co-worker. Don't you love when co-workers come into the office and start hacking all over? It's a sure recipe for sickness for me! Please, hack into your hands and then touch common doors. Beautiful!

So while I'm hanging in bed doing nothing but resting and trying to convert a cookbook to electronic form (taking pics with my iPhone, saving to my computer, and uploading to a secret board on Pinterest), I was watching the Today show, which turns into a local talk-about-whatever show at 10am. I saw a popular Florida blogger who was sitting with another stylist doing a Fashion Police sort of segment. While the stylist was talking about body shape and what would be more flattering on the celebrity, wouldn't you know that the blogger chimed in, "Add a skinny jean." Yep, it was that fashion blogger. Very concerned about looking at the camera and everything in front of her instead of focusing on the screen behind her where the pics of the celebrities were shown. Her voice is much deeper than I thought and the eye thing wasn't as prominent on TV. She had on a very cute Christmas outfit and did well in another segment. But I gotta tell ya, there's an underlying bitchiness to her, which just rubs me the wrong way.

Although a couple rooms are not quite yet done, I thought I'd give you a sneak peek at some room elements taken with my iPhone. I did a little $10 table lamp makeover on Saturday. This lamp used to have a black base with a very dusty beige shade. It sat at my sister's house for several years while we lived up north. I've never incorporated orange in a room before but thought with the gray walls and white bedding, it would be a very cheery combo. My inspiration is a piece of artwork being delivered on Thursday, which is just perfect for the guest room. And I totally forgot about the Kate Spade box that houses my earplugs, but matches the Target lampshade perfectly! What a happy coincidence, don't you think?  I've been camping out in the guest room while sick to keep my germs away from hubby (hence the unmade bed). I keep looking at the lamp and it puts a smile on my face.



And here's a cheap DIY art project I did a few weekends ago for the dining room. The dining room is the only room in the house so far that has an eclectic, mid-century look, which is quite different from the coastal look in many of the rooms on the first floor. My husband has a few nice art pieces that weren't working with the coastal theme. So the dining room became more formal than other parts of the house. I saw this DIY project on Pinterest and decided to copy it. It's my first time painting on canvas and was super easy. I think it looks okay and we'll hang it and see how it looks and what kind of comments it garners. They may have to come down if I hear "is that your kids' artwork?'



Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. I know the blogger you mean. I had to stop reading her a few months back. The tone and content of her blog has just become so... I don't even know how to describe it. It's sad that a little "fame" changes what made the blog fun in the first place.

    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the perceived fame just brought out her true colors. Seeing that a lot today. Especially at work where I was shunned at the holiday lunch for being sick. Yep, I sat in an empty office. Trouble is, the people didn't even realize they were being douches. Most people don't.
    I don't know. At least I'm real on my blog. What you see on my blog is exactly what you get in person with me. I don't write this blog for fame or freebies. I'm a writer in my work life so this is just an extension of me.
    Thanks for the well wishes!
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice touches in your home :-)

    Monica, www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the lamp DIY! The colors look great together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meghan! I went outside my comfort zone. That's why I love having neutral paint in every room that's all the same. Let's me play with color in furniture and accessories.
      Niki

      Delete
  5. I just hate read her now! The faux budget that never matches the real budget; the rampant fast fashion consumerism; the claims of 'work appropriate'; and the blocking of commenters that are more constructive than fawning (yup, I'm blocked, unallowed, even with the disqus account) are so blood boiling!!! And those TV segments...I just can't with her.

    Thanks for some reality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the sad reality is that she's divorced and lives in an apartment alone. There are just a lot of other bloggers out there that have more to offer. Allison at wardrobe oxygen keeps it real. That reminds me, I need to remove skinny jean from my blog roll.
      Niki

      Delete