Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

We Want More, We Want More

So you wanna see the inside of the house, huh? Particularly that uber cool ceiling fan? It's not staying with the house so don't get too excited.  At least I hope the renter doesn't think he's leaving us a "gift" by not taking the damn thing down. Oh boy. If that's the case maybe we'll ask the seller for a "dismantling credit" at closing.

So let's see. The inspection is done. The appraisal has been ordered. And although the inspector did not see any evidence of termites, we ordered an inspection just in case. Those things should happen early next week. So glad we spent the extra $50 on the wind mitigation report. It saved us $1K on our homeowners insurance premiums. Not many insurance companies will insure in FL anymore - hurricanes and sinkholes being the issue. In the 30+ years I've been in FL... nope not gonna go there. Not gonna jinx us. So once the appraisal is done, we can rest a little easier and then kind of coast through July. Oh the other big hurdle to get through is actually getting the loan approved. Yeah, that's a biggie.

So here we go. Consider these the "before" pictures. We's gonna spiff up the place room by room. I'll explain the layout as we go along on the picture tour. I'll wait for you to get your popcorn, cookies, or whatever snackie cakes you need.

Get me a glass of wine while you're up, too. Thanks!

Let's begin.

The Father of the Bride house has two living areas. This one with the fireplace (wood burning) faces the pool and is in between the kitchen and catacorner to the dining room. Go around the corner to the left and you're in the other living area. Go to the right and you're in my husband's office. The plan is to paint the entire interior with a gray/blue paint, such as Benjamin Moore's "Healing Aloe" or "Quiet Moments." We both agree that we want to paint the fireplace trim white. I'd like to also paint the brick either white or black but hubby isn't so sure yet. He'll come around.


Alright so let's go through the hall and turn left into the other living area. Welcome to the game room. This will be our entertainment room with a pool table, dart board, and whatever else we can fit in it for entertaining. Cause you know holiday dinners can get boring. Why not give the families something to do while they're at your house? This will also be hubby's guitar area while I retreat to the master bedroom upstairs.

 
Now stand in the same spot and jump around 180 degrees. Here's hubby's office. It has built-in shelving on the back wall. I think he'll be very cozy in his man side of the house. Oh don't worry. I have woman space upstairs.


So now we'll look at the right side of the lower level. The yucky red dining room. Hey 1979 called, they want their chandelier back. Maybe Matt Damon will use it to buy drugs behind Liberace's back. After seeing "Behind the Candelabra," I bet Sara Silverman will not be bragging about "f'ing Matt Damon." The plans for the dining room include wainscoting below the chair rail, painting of course, a rustic farm table, and modern, yet classic light. Very Restoration Hardware. The table will need to accommodate at least six, preferably eight by Christmastime. Cause ya know, this is the Christmas house. It's a really good space. I haven't had a formal dining room in years. The Connecticut house only had an eat-in kitchen. Most nights hubby and I would just eat in front of the TV on our little glass tables. That probably won't change. But at least we have a place to seat people now and can have dinner parties. Although I have a feeling they will flock to the backyard dining area to eat.


Moving on to the kitchen and laundry area. So although the cabinets are thermafoil, the boxes are (for the most part except for the gunky one) in good condition. For now the doors will remain. However, I do plan to change them out down the road to Shaker style. I also plan to add a couple of glass doors to break up all the white. The first cheap fix will be the hardware. Rubbed oil bronze is what I'm after and Ikea has some knobs and pulls I'll pick up. The countertops are next. Can't decide between a marble color counter or black granite. Then come appliances and a backsplash of seaglass tile. So lots going on for this room but I'm going to try and do it for under $4K. That's the goal. I'd like to get a four-seater round table that's rustic like the farm table I want for the dining room to add to the eat-in kitchen nook. The laundry area is off to the right. Not jazzed about it being off the kitchen but at least there's a door I can close and it's not near any bedrooms to keep anyone up for late-night drying. There is also a set of cabinets and counter space off to the right of the picture frame, along with the fridge.


And the last room on the lower level in between the kitchen and the fireplace room is the pool half bath. Paint, wainscoting, new vanity, mirror, and toilet will spruce this space up nicely.


Okay kiddos, that's the first floor. Eventually the carpet will be replaced with wood flooring but I'm afraid that's gonna be awhile. We have other things to do first. I'm tired so let's do the upstairs tomorrow, shall we?



Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to post the interior pictures. I have never seen a Harley fan.... You have your work cut out for you but it seems like you are going to enjoy the makeover process. I have no sense of how to do home improvements so I am impressed with your plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit of a train wreck right now but we see the potential to make it great. All the stuff inside can be changed. You can't change that view off the back patio. :-)
      Niki

      Delete
  2. Awesome! How exciting to have this to do :-) I love the decorating process. Please share those little details, too, k?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet house! Are you sure your don't want to move the Harley fan into the game room?

    We have granite counter tops and black face appliances (cook top, oven, microwave) and black attracts dust like no other non color.. lol.

    Monica, www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm quite sure. I'm a scooter girl, not a Harley girl. We have black appliances in our apt. We're looking at getting stainless.
      Niki

      Delete
  4. This is great, your interior design ideas are just amazing. Good job. We want to see what's upstairs soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yep. I'll get the upstairs posted next. This type of post takes longer to write (2 hrs) than my regular posts. So I'll try to write it up tonight.
      Niki

      Delete
  5. So glad you're sharing pictures- the house has great bones and nice big rooms! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'm going to change up the blog a bit and incorporate more house stuff and food stuff. Didnt have the room in the CT house nor this apt to do food posts. I want to open my blog up to more readers by incorporating these items in addition to the fashion.
      Niki

      Delete