Pages

Friday, June 21, 2013

Switchin' It Up

A lot has changed in my life since starting my blog almost two years ago. What once seemed so important - fashion - is steadily becoming more unimportant to me. Don't get me wrong, I love fashion, but I'm not jazzed about having a closet full of cheap fashion that creates temporary, cheap highs. I look at my closet and think, "I don't even need half of what's in there."

Maybe it's because I'm in a no-spend mode on pretty much everything for the next 6 weeks or it's the allure of having great countertops, wood flooring, etc. in the new house that is trumping fashion. It could be that I'm just tired and not feeling as adventurous with fashion as I used to. Could be the heat. Could be the small office I work for where the kind of fashion I've been showcasing seems a bit ridiculous now. Could be that I'm tired and older and I'm now thinking of our future and rebuilding savings. Could just be a temporary lapse that I'll snap out of.

Whatever the reason, I want my blog to grow and evolve with me. I don't want to limit it to fashion anymore. I want it to encompass beautiful things and capture timeless moments in my life as a way of looking back and remembering. I want it to be about the next chapter in our life. We've let Connecticut go. We have no ties there anymore. It was nice but not for us. We've returned to what's comfortable for us. Towns we are familiar with, family I grew up with, and a climate more suited to our lifestyle. We gave New England and New York
four years and it just wasn't for us. We're older and becoming more settled in our ways. The desire to go-go-go and do-do-do that was there in my youth isn't as prevalent. I have to turn down family weekend plans quite often because I want to enjoy the time I have on the weekends without feeling rushed. I think it's great my family likes to run around all weekend and go to places and do stuff.
Rarely do they sit still. But it's just not me. There are some weekend days where I will hang in my PJs until 3 or 4pm. I might go to Publix and then cook dinner before grabbing a stack of magazines or streaming a movie. And while I love going out to eat, it's not always practical, nor is it good for maintaining weight loss. Plus, I love to cook. I love trying new recipes. I'm also looking forward to having family and friends over now that we have so much space in the new house to entertain. The only issue is the distance.

Our house is situated east of Tampa. It's about a 45 minute commute to work and family, who are both in the Clearwater area of Tampa Bay. As I explained before, we had to move east (or go equal distance north of Tampa) to get the type of house we wanted at a comfortable price. So getting people to come over will be challenging. But I'm hoping that back yard will make them forget all about that drive. And for the first time in about six years, I want my mom and sister to gather at my house house for a tradition I want to revive - Christmas cookie baking. Of course my husband is a willing "tester" and I'm sure the little guy (my 3-year old nephew) will be too.

So I'm making the decision to evolve my blog into not just fashion, but home stuff too. It will be a mixture of home decor, food, and fashion. It's pretty much always been that way but I focused on daily outfits sprinkled with the other stuff. Now I want it to be an equal division. Some of you may like this, others may drop off. And that's okay.


Pin It!

16 comments:

  1. Hi Niki, first comment from me. I've lurked for a while and have really enjoyed your fashion sense and style. I'm in Australia, and I can relate to the hot and steamy problems particularly in what to wear - tho we are in winter at the moment. Looking forward to following through your new house as it develops. cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Wendy! Yeah, it's quite hot and steamy here now. Really having a hard time in the mornings with the camera fogging up. I'm hoping in the mornings at the new house that I can leave the camera out on the patio a little longer so that it can warm up to the outside air temp. Here - I'm too scared to do that as someone might snatch my camera at the apt complex. Winter? I know that happens this time of year over there, it's just bizarre that you have winter in June! Are your winters similar to ours where it's light jacket weather? I'm looking forward to seeing our house develop too.
      Niki

      Delete
  2. Hello, I have been following you for a while too, even before you moved back to Florida. I also live in the bay area and was looking forward to your summer Florida outfits as I myself tend to stay in my underwear till 3 pm on Saturdays. The other thing I have going against me is that I wear scrubs to work. Please don't give up, you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no no. I'm not giving up. I'm just wanting to mix it up a bit and add on with house and food "fashion." So some days will be my outfits, some will be food (once we get in the new house and I have more than one small square cabinet) and other days will be my outfits. Just broadening, not going away. :-)
      Niki

      Delete
    2. You live in Tampa Bay area? We may just shop at the same malls. Have to go to International Plaza tomorrow as a matter of fact. :-)

      Delete
    3. Yes, you have a local follower -Lakewood Ranch - if I ever see you at the International Plaza I will say hello. Have fun browsing!!!!

      Delete
    4. Oh you're in Sarasota. I can't believe how that area has grown, especially around university blvd. I love going to mi pueblo, which I usually have when I go to trader joes. Can't wait til the new mall opens next year. :-)
      Niki

      Delete
  3. I will definitely continue to follow you. I'm dying to see the house come together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both. We went to Home Depot today and started pricing things. :-)
      Niki

      Delete
  4. Me too, thanks for sharing your life. I wondered how long the fashion would last since your coworkers wear company polos.��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gotta tell ya, the company button downs have come in handy over the last 3 weeks of sleep deprivation. This is the first weekend we don't have something going on with the house or bday parties. I kind of lived in my company clothes for a few weeks as it was one less stressor i had to deal with. I'm now going to find a balance and dress up a couple days/week as I can feel myself slipping back into grubby land.
      Niki

      Delete
  5. Be true to yourself, doing what you feel is best. That truth and beauty is why we come to visit!

    Xo,
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a plan! I really rather like a mix of themes in blogs that I follow anyway .. mine is a mix of fashion, makeup, health, fitness, food .. whatever I think is interesting.

    So have fun with your blog .. will look forward to your wide range of posts!!

    Monica, www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! When I start feeling a slave to something and not having fun with it anymore, it's either time to pack it in and call it a day or switch it up to make it fun again. I chose the latter.
      Niki

      Delete
  7. Looking forward to seeing your new house come together. Fashion is only a part of life - if you work the house decorating the way you work your clothing, it'll be just as interesting when you focus on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent way of putting it, Carol! Houses can be fashionable too!
      Niki

      Delete