Pages

Monday, June 17, 2013

Birthdays and Homes

I think today was the first day in a few weeks where I didn't have to furnish a lender, insurance company, or anyone else with any kind of paperwork. And thank goodness for that as all of this home buying business has left me feeling under the weather.

But before we get into the home, I have to give a shout out to my baby sister who turns 30 today. Happy Birthday, Rachel!

We had our inspection yesterday and it went surprisingly well. Nothing too major that is a deal breaker. So we are forging on with the appraisal, hopefully this week or next. I'll show you the front and back of the house but the inside - ain't nobody got time for that mess! The renters were there yesterday while we had our inspection. They were packing up the little odds and ends and most
of their Harley and Mike's Hard Lemonade crap was gone (except the oh-so-lovely Harley ceiling fan that he had to rev the make-believe engine for my husband on our last visit). While the renter and his family seem like nice, hard-working people, I cannot fathom a world where you live in filth. Don't get me wrong, I'm not Miss Tidy by any means. I do leave dishes in the sink to soak overnight. I might not dust glass shelving for a few weeks but there is no excuse for the smell of rotting cat turds in the master bath, dead roach carcases, and the goo I don't even know how to attempt to clean off the inside of one of the kitchen cabinets. The renter is going to shampoo the carpets this weekend in an attempt to recover his deposit. However, hubby and I have agreed that we need to hire an industrial cleaning company to come in and wipe that place from top to bottom before we move a single thing in.

So without further ado, scroll on down to see the back and front of our new home (ink isn't dry yet). How crazy is that view? Uber-kay-kay is what it is!

Hubby and I never thought we'd be able to have a home like this in our price range. To us, this is a the type of home we would find for $800K in Connecticut and that's without the golf-course view or pool. We dubbed the house "Father of the Bride" since it reminds us of something you'd find wealthy movie families living in. And while those that live in the north may think - 'eh, no biggie,' Colonials are not very common in Florida. Most typical FL homes are cookie cutter one-story open concept, split floor plans. And that's great. But we both didn't really want a house that looks like every other stucco neighbor on the block. So while we looked at a few cookie cutter homes, we also opened things up to older homes with more personality.

My sister was great in our home buying process. Hubby had to go on a week-long business trip and sister stepped in to fill his shoes on an evening tour with our realtor. She had my husband's back as I would be ooing and ahhing over the updated kitchens while she made a beeline to the backyard. We only looked at houses with inground pools as that was the number one priority for hubby. "My next house must have a pool." Rachel would stand on the back patio, walk around and then state, "Nope. This isn't the one for him." But when we got to this house, she undoubtedly said, "Yes, I see him in this house. This is the one." Luckily on our ratings scale, it was a 5 out of 5 stars from the listing pictures for hubby before he even saw it in person. In fact, he told me to go ahead and write up an offer while he was still out of town after he saw my pictures.

Although the house is 25 years old and has had some updates, it's not to our taste just yet. But that will be a fun process of going room by room over the next couple of years and making it our own. While the tile floors are fine in the common areas, the carpet is not and will eventually give way to beautiful hardwoods that this house deserves. The kitchen needs stainless steel appliances and new countertops (I'm actually thinking of checking out Formica that looks like white marble with upgraded Ogee edges). The vanities in the bathroom need to be replaced as do the toilets. Our first order of business is paint on the inside and shoring up some issues on the outside. Why people pick ketchup and mustard colored paint for the inside of the house is beyond me. The kitchen is country yellow and the dining room is red, red, red. If you follow me on Pinterest, you'll see pins that reflect our style. Think modern beachy-cottage.

Hubby can't wait to tackle the back yard with stonework, pavers, and a fire feature. I can't wait to sit on my sundeck with a glass of sweet, sun-brewed tea.




Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. Oh, it's lovely! A really beautiful home. Congrats <3

    Monica
    www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. One more hurdle to get through - appraisal.
      Niki

      Delete
  2. Ccngrats - lovely house. To amuse your readers I think you should post some nasty interior shots, especially of the fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. I do have some good ones of the interior. Maybe...

      Delete
  3. You will definitely enjoy this new home. Lovely landscaping! Congrats! (Remember, you don't have to rush to re-do the interior...just the cleaning, and that happens to the best of us! :). )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!!!!! That home is beautiful, and what a view. Good luck in this final push to closing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hoping we close a week early. We'll see.
      Niki

      Delete
  5. Congrats! Lovely home, wonderful view....and I second the request for interior shots. = ]

    I hope everything, going forward, runs a smooth course.

    ~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your beautiful home, so perfect. Congratulations on that!

    ReplyDelete