Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Classics

So I'm on a movie kick. Would you believe that I have never seen an Audrey Hepburn movie? Or anything with Grace Kelly, Marilyn Monroe, and so on. I've seen some classics, such as Love Story, Where the Boys Are, and some dark classics, such as Waiting for Godot. But most classics, meh. Just never had the desire in my younger years. So I'm giving it a go.

Which classic did I start with? Why Breakfast at Tiffany's, of course. And wow, wow, wow! Audrey's clothes are to die for, as is she. What a gorgeous woman she was. What style and grace she had. I now get why she was a timeless beauty and how that style endured for decades. LBDs, statement necklaces, ballet flats. Hello, pre Sex and the City!  And the Givenchy dress in the opening scene? What a stunning look. I want the dress, pearls, oh heck, throw in the tiara as well.

*This is my favorite scene from The Big Bang Theory. My husband says I act just like this when I get excited about something (he's right). I think it's hilarious!



And what did I think of the movie? Meh. Not my style. Too much Moon River (seriously overplayed). It seemed superficial with a predicable plot. I'm not crazy about the whole damsel in distress that needs to be rescued. And I guess that was the time.  Not a lot of strong, independent women in movies 50-60 years ago. Unless I just haven't found the right movie. Hubby said I should give Katharine Hepburn and Lauren Bacall a try. My friend Charlotte suggested Hitchcock might be more my speed. And although it was shot in 1980, I still consider Raging Bull a classic. I loved Cathy Moriarty in that movie. The pre-Gwen Stefani.

However, the next movie I want to watch is The Way We Were. But that's not something I can stream on Netflix with my subscription.

So to honor the beautiful Audrey, here's my modern take (in a much, much curvier way).
 


 
{Shirt: St James for J. Crew | Pants: Asos | Shoes: J. Crew | Lippies: Nars Dragon Girl}
 
 


 
Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. I am a complete and total Audrey Hepburn fan! That said, Breakfast at Tiffany's is probably my least favorite of her movies. Roman Holiday is one of my favorites. (maybe because I'm Italian? Nah, it's just a sweet movie)

    Very cute outfit....and I am still really loving the hair. Especially, when I consider that it's been a few weeks since the initial cut.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    From Sunless in Seattle
    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang dong it! My video is not displaying. Oh well. Ok i'll try Roman Holiday this weekend since it will be sunless St Pete this weekend. I went platinum the last weekend in Feb. i've had the roots done once and will again tomorrow. 3-4 weeks is how long i can stand in between. So about 7 weeks total now. It's growing slowly but when it grows it thickens up. So tomorrow is root touch up and texturizing. Just a dusting of the ends since the bleaching is very drying. I also try to deep condition on the weekends and oils are my friend. Probably more than you wanted to know about my hair, so ignore all of that and I'll just say "thanks!" Lol
      Niki

      Delete
  2. Not a big Hepburn fan .. I'm more Elizabeth Taylor .. Oh, the dress she wears to "dinner" in Elephant Walk is to die for.

    Monica
    www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breakfast at Tiffany's was a GREAT novella, they Hollywood-bastardized it for the film. Man, if Audrey Hepburn had played it as Truman Capote wrote it, now that would have been SOMETHING.

    I have warmed up to the platinum a lot and am loving your hair (but I have always loved your beauty choices) but the pants aren't so much working for me. Enjoy your classic movie excursions -- maybe I should follow your lead. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree wholeheartedly that Hollywood butchered Truman Capote's work.

      "She was a triumph over ugliness, so often more beguiling than real beauty, if only because it contains paradox. In this case, as opposed to the scrupulous method of plain good taste and scientific grooming, the trick had been worked by exaggerating defects; she'd made them ornamental by admitting them boldly."

      - Truman Capote, Breakfast at Tiffany's

      ~Julie

      Delete
  4. Couldn't agree with you more on the pants, Cindy! They've never really worked for me. That's ASOS for ya. Pants - not so good. I took Julie up on her advice and watched Roman Holiday and liked that one much better. Got the roots done today and just thinning, but kept thr lenght as I'm trying to grow it out. :-)
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  5. The information in your blog is very informative. Keep up the good work. WLCI School of Fashion offers various courses and programmes in fashion courses, which are very interactive and prepares students for real fashion world.
    To Know More Information Visit:
    http://www.wlcifashion.in/

    ReplyDelete