Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Remixing

I have this wave of calm over me right now that is interrupted by extreme stress. I don't think I've been this calm before starting a new job, while at the same time I'm stressed over not knowing everything that is going on with the sale of our house. When you live 1400 miles away and aren't kept in the loop, it's very frustrating. I was able to confirm some numbers with the paralegal yesterday, who was very gracious in answering my gazillion questions. I also found out that it doesn't matter when we close on your house (i.e., what day), that we are responsible for all 30 days of per diem interest. So even if we closed tomorrow, we'd still be on the hook for 30 days of interest. And it's absolutely true, buying and selling a house is the most frustrating, stressful experience. Going house hunting is great. Getting down to the nitty gritty isn't.

I was going to wear a different outfit this morning but the pants are a wee bit tight. I haven't been going to the gym as I've had other things preoccupying my time so I'm getting a little thick around the middle. And since there's no shopping in my future for at least a month, I'm going to get creative with what I do own. Maybe even some repeats but changing out accessories.

I am looking forward, however, to having a little bit of disposable income for some investment pieces. I've been buying trendy, throw-aways for the last year. And that's just it, they become throw-aways after a few washings or are cast off to the weekend wear pile. As I look in my closet, I see a sea of Zara and J. Crew with just a sprinkling of Vince, Alice & Olivia, and a few Gucci/Kate Spade/Louis bags. Sadly, I sold a lot of my investment pieces on eBay over the years (Prada, Fendi, and Gucci handbags/shoes). Sometimes life gets in the way and you have to part with certain items. I have regrets. Especially over some of the beautiful pieces I picked up in Italy. I do still have my Gucci fanny pack (similar to the one Carrie Bradshaw used while dating Aiden) that I bought in Italy. And of course there's my beautiful denim Louis that hubby, then boyfriend, surprised me with for our lavish first Christmas together.

And even though I want to invest in a few great pieces that will last me throughout the years, I'm starting to realize that having some money in the bank is more important. I have 20+ good working years left and I need to make the most of that time before I start having any medical issues or slow down. I need to make sure that I can retire and live a comfortable life that doesn't include eating cat food. Luckily the new job has a nice match on 401K that I will be taking full advantage of to build back up funds I had to use for our CT house. I'm not getting any younger and there's no rich relative in my future who will bestow their millions onto me. As has always been, it's up to me (and hubby) to make things happen to secure our future.


Now on to what was referred to as my Ikea outfit. Thanks. Love when perfect strangers speak their minds with insults.



{Shirt: Zara | Pants: Talbots | Shoes: Rock & Republic for Kohl's | Necklace: Forever 21 | Lippies: Nars Dragon Girl}



Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. I just found you through J's every day fashion and I wanted to tell you I love your funky meets traditional style! Your light blonde hair is super cute, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shannon! I appreciate that! It's just fashion so why not have fun with it? Change it up and try different stuff. :-) Same with hair. Glad you like my site and hope you keep coming back.
      Niki

      Delete
  2. I look at your blog daily - I love your style and do get inspiration from you. Ikea huh? LOL I don't see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! Yeah, the big yellow Ikea bags with blue handles. :-(

      Delete
    2. well they are just jealous of your fabulousness!

      Delete
  3. At first I thought .. oh, wrong shoes, but in the pic below ..the shoes are perfect with your outfit :-)

    Monica
    www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Niki, I have the exact same shoes and if I wear them on a bare foot, my feet are in black/blue colour... Did you have the same experience?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That's never a good look. I don't have that problem with mine. I wonder if it's the dye in your pair. Have you tried some food powder to see if that helps any?
      Niki

      Delete
    2. Ugh! I need my glasses. "Foot" powder. Lol!

      Delete
    3. Yes, I have, it didn't work. Guess it's the dye after all... I hope it will fade in some time :))) Otherwise I'll have kind of Avatar feet :))

      Delete
  5. congrats on all of the good news! i am LOVING the haircut :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keri. The hair is growing. I have very thick but fine hair so i have to get it texturized (thinned out) for it to lay right. Getting that done on Sat since it's been almost 2 months since I got it cut. Trying to grow it out so I can have a small ponytail as it's about to get brutally hot here.
      Niki

      Delete
  6. Really? Ikea? Is it just the yellow? That's ridiculous. I love that you're remixing. That's pretty much all I do with the occasional add on. Looking forward to the re-styles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she was referring to the yellow ikea bag with blue handle and reference my shirt and necklace.

      Delete