Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Tomato

Ugh. I think these pants will have to be rotated out of my wardrobe. Shame. They are fine through the thigh area, butt, and hips but they have the extended flap in the front that you have to stretch across the belly to attach to two hooks. That was long winded. They hook, rather than button. I used a safety pin for comfort and they are sitting below my stomach pooch like a redneck with a beer gut. So attractive.

Although we're not getting pummeled with snow like our mid-west relatives, we are seeing low temps for this time of year. And some crazy winds. Aren't palm trees just supposed to glisten in the sun? Or sway violently during hurricanes? And since I can't grow any flowers at the apartment or grow the types I used to up north (although daisies will grow here - yay!), I've been buying tulips and daffodils in potted containers. There are two types of shrubs/bushes/flowers I will miss and I'm so glad I took lots of pictures last year in front of my forsythia and hydrangeas. Hydrangeas are the first plant I put in our garden when we moved to CT. I've wanted to grow them since taking a small pot of them home from a business trip to Boston years ago. People thought I was nuts and were a little annoyed as I was in the middle seat with this potted plant sitting on my lap like a small, purple child. Of course, it didn't survive long in my air conditioned house. Had I tried to put it out in the yard, the sun would have burned it up like a vampire. We had one year where the temps in CT stayed at 90 degrees for several weeks and my hydrangea burned up for the summer. They came back the next year but no amount of watering was bringing those suckers back from the dead.

And jury duty yesterday? Well I didn't get picked. Didn't even have to go up and sit in front of the judge. I personally think the whole justice system is retarded in this country. You pluck someone off the street who has no background in law and expect them to understand everything the judge/attorneys are saying and make a decision on someone else's life? That's just not right. Watch the Paradise Lost videos on the West Memphis Three and you'll see where I'm coming from.


 
{Sweatshirt: J. Crew | Tee and Pants: Gap | Shoes: Tahari | Necklace: Thrifted}
 

 

Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. I thought your pants are gorgeous until I red your funny post. Now I understand... ;-)
    Your outfit is still fabulous though!

    We don't have the jury system here in Germany.

    Annette
    Lady of Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annette. What kind of legal proceedings do you have in Germany? I'm curious. Here - when you register your car each year at the dept of motor vehicles or tax collector, you are then thrust into a pool of potential jurors. You can only be called for service once/year. You show up at the court house after you've received a summons in the mail (you could go to jail for failure to show up). You're given a juror number, watch a short video with about 200 other people about the importance of being a juror and basic procedures, raise your right hand and answer a couple of questions, and then pronounced you are a qualified juror. You then wait to get called with a group of about 20 people to go up for possible juror selection for an upcoming or same day trial. The lawyers and judge ask some questions to determine if you fit their qualifications for a fair and impartial judgement (have you been a victim of a crime, have you witnessed a crime, do you have family in law enforcement, can you you be non-biased, etc.). If picked, you are part of a jury of 11 others and you pick a foreman to do all the speaking. You hear the case and arguments, deliberate, and then decide the fate of the individual based on what you heard in the courtroom. I sure hope I never have to be on the other side with a bunch of incompetent people judging my fate.
      Niki
      Niki

      Delete
  2. What is even worse about our system of justice is that if you are arrested and cannot afford an attorney, your chances of being convicted or at least having to plea guilty to something you may not be guilty of sky rocket because our public defenders are out matched against the local district attorney's offices which receive federal funding. I think the West Memphis 3 is a perfect example of what can go seriously wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely agree. I read Damien's book, watched all three Paradise Lost movies, and just couldn't comprehend the stupidity exhibited throughout the entire 18 years that the case dragged on. When I graduated college with an English degree, I was asked if I was going to go on to law school. I spent about one week during college working for a law office and that was enough to turn me off to that profession. If I felt I could take on the good 'ol boy network and make a difference, I would have pursued it. But just listening to the lawyers in the cafeteria during our breaks was enough to solidify my career choices.
      Niki

      Delete
  3. I think your outfit is adorable! But I understand what you're saying. There are a few pairs that I'm hanging on to because I know I'm right there at it. But if it doesn't happen soon then they're being eBayed.

    Thankfully you don't have to waste your time on jury duty! What a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, I HATE the tab fronts of pants with the button and the two hooks. Whenever I gain the slightest bit of weight, they get too tight there and don't sit right. They are SO uncomfortable. I have been looking for pants that don't have a waist and zip at the sides, like the kind they wear on Mad Men. I've been able to get a few pairs from Talbots. And I can't seem to find the perfect shapewear to guard against this problem. It is such a hassle.

    As for jury duty, I recently got called but fortunately was excused because I started a new job not too long ago. However, in the past when I've been called, I always go and hope to get picked. The way I look at it is that I would want someone on the jury like me if I was accused of something. I think I can be very fair. However, my husband is a police officer, and once they see that, they usually eliminate me right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. 6lbs and they fit everywhere except around my belly. No more front tab pants, no more side zip pants for me. Talbots pants are pretty good. And for some reason shapewear just seems to add bulk on me.

      When I was younger, getting picked for jury duty was no big deal but I've grown to detest the whole ritual. I just think it's a flawed system.
      Niki

      Delete