Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Thunderdome

Two men enter, one man leaves.

Did I wear this fabulous Tina Turner vest to work today? You bet your ass I did! I've been waiting for an opportunity to wear it and 47 degrees seemed fitting. This was the outfit I was going to wear to the swanky lounge for dinner on my birthday. But two weeks with a sinus infection derailed that plan. Oh and it was 80 degrees on my birthday back in January.

This week's weather is unusual for this time of year. A late cold snap times 2. 30s and 40s are not normal for this time of year in Florida. But I'm not complaining. I know we'll never see snow here. I know it's about to be brutally hot and humid soon, so I'm relishing every last good hair and makeup day (yes, last weekend at the St. Pete Saturday Morning Market, my winged eye traveled so far up my lid that I looked like a drag queen and didn't realize it until after I ran into an old friend and then got into my car and looked in the review mirror - nice!).

I had one of those weekends where I go, go, go all day on Saturday (market, brunch with sister, Italian market, etc.) that on Sunday, I stayed in my PJs until about 4pm. And I finally found a fish market about 2 miles away from my apartment that had the most delicious scallops. Scallops aren't big down here, shrimp are.


So I did some research and made a list of fish markets I wanted to try. IC Sharks (isn't the name adorable?) is a small fish market on the bay that flies in fresh diver scallops from Maine every day. And boy could we taste the difference. They were so flavorful and tender. As my husband said (in a non-Jewish voice), "Like butter." Seriously, if you can find diver or dry scallops that haven't been injected with preservatives, the taste is outstanding. I also up'd the ante with my preparation after watching a short video on our new Roku boxes (streaming video is da bomb!).

I went in search for high heat safflower oil and ended up buying a variation of it at The Fresh Market. I bought an Asian Stir Fry safflower oil. I also invested in a better quality black truffle oil (rather than the crap one I got for $3 at TJ Maxx). You can smell the difference. And while I was out on Saturday, I picked up some black truffle salt that I used before cooking the scallops to help form a nice crust. All this combined with cooking in a cast iron skillet produced a lovely, and rather healthy dinner. I've been sticking to my 1500 calorie diet plan pretty well over the last week and it's paying off. I'm down 2lbs. 10 more to go. Has it been hard? Sort of. I now realize that I had become complacent and lazy. Even though I thought I was eating the correct portion sizes, I quickly realized that I was taking in about 2,000 calories/day. I haven't started back up on the exercise wagon yet but will when the weather warms up.

And I swear I'm not wearing blue and black all the time on purpose. I just adore this new necklace and I'm trying to find combos with it.

No post tomorrow. Jury Duty. I ain't dressing up for that! Hoping if I look like a hobo, I won't get picked.



{Vest: Skaist-Taylor for Target/Neiman Marcus | Pants: Asos | Tee: Gap | Necklace: Forever 21 | Shoes: Nine West Andriana}



Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Your pants are fabulous! Love how the color details are down the leg, not all the way down the thighs ..

    Dinner looks good too !!

    Monica
    www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've featured them on the site before. :-)
      Niki

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure what looks better...you or dinner. Those scallops look GOOD! Thanks for sharing. Or not sharing. You know what I mean!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete