Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

$10 Dress

How do you make a $10 H&M dress (or any fast fashion) look polished and sophisticated? Invest in statement accessories. A lot of J. Crew necklaces can cost a pretty penny. And the designs seem to be more elaborate each season (no complaints here). However, if you wait for a sale and then apply a typical 20-40% discount code every couple of months, you can get a pretty nice piece of jewelry for half off the retail price. I even spotted a replica of this Lulu Frost necklace in TJ Maxx over the weekend. It wasn't as sparkly, but the exact same design for $30. I had a J. Crew rewards card that I applied to this necklace in addition to the extra percentage off, so I came out pretty well in price.

Another place I shop for statement necklaces is Forever 21. Not a huge fan of a lot of their cheap frocks but their necklaces have held up extremely well for me. Look online as you can find a lot more selection than in the stores.

I have heard some complaints of the quality of Bauble Bar necklaces, but personally, I've never had a problem with the few pieces I have from them. And remember that you can get $10 off your first purchase just by signing up with an email address. I have, however, had Asos jewelry (bracelets) tarnish on me rather quickly.

I'm also finding that the blonder I go (yeah, got the roots done this weekend along with a co-wash of bleach and shampoo to the rest as we are gradually getting to the platinum stage without frying my hair), the more daring I seem to become in the necklace department. It's so weird being this white blonde. It's like I'm a member of a very small club of women, rather than lost in a sea of highlights. I now notice other platinum blondes. I find myself looking at the texture of their hair and how healthy/unhealthy it looks. I find myself doing double-takes in the mirror because I'm still getting used to the color. And I am very pleased that it does not at all feel like straw. Super pleased with how it's processed in the salon and the respect and care my stylist is taking in getting me to my final goal. My husband loves it and I do, too. It's not for everyone and I realize some of you don't care for it. That's okay.  I hope you come back to my site for more than my hair or what I'm wearing today. Cause when you get down to it, it's still a $10 H&M dress.


What's interesting with any fashion blogger is how that blogger can take a base piece and build upon it. Do they keep it minimalistic? Do they add a special touch with accessories? Does their makeup stand out? Did they buck the system and choose something obscure that just seems to work? Do they have the vision to take something outside of the standard every day sea of boring clothes and make it something special and unique?

 
{Dress: H&M | Necklace: Lulu Frost for J. Crew | Shoes: Nine West | Lipstick: MAC Rebel}





Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. I have heard some complaints of the quality of Bauble Bar necklaces..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how simple this is and so classy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly loving the hair hun! What a blond bomb shell!

    The dress looks great with the necklace. i do like the statement necklaces as like you say, they can bring an outfit from dull to daring.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you. And that wasn't even a good hair day. Lol!
      Niki

      Delete
  4. This dress is perfect for you! You are so right about accessories and you did a great job with that necklace and nude peeptoes.
    I follow various blogs and often I am amazed about some bloggers' budget... I don't have that but with a good sense of style you can wear a 10$ H+M dress in a very sophisticated way like you do!

    Annette
    Lady of Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a mortgage up north and rent down south, I can't afford to buy investment pieces now. I really want to, so in the meantime, this is what I can do to add to my wardrobe. I consider my necklaces my investment pieces for now.
      Niki

      Delete
  5. Don't you love getting a dress for $10 at H&M? I just recently purchased a $10 dress as well and still working on pulling it together. It's such a pain to work full time - I should be out shopping ;-)

    Monica
    www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! No kidding. If only the fun jobs paid.

      Delete
  6. If you hadn't posted that it was a $10 dress, I wouldn't have guessed....and in the end, that's the objective, right? It looks great. I am really loving your journey to the land o' platinum. You have the coloring to pull it off, and the cut is perfect for you as well.

    I love the various statement necklaces out there, but unfortunately whenever I wear jewelry that's not either gold or silver I end up with a nasty rash....so, I'm banished to classic pieces. I guess, I'll have to live vicariously through you on that trend. =)

    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nasty rashes are statement pieces on their own, albeit not positive statements, but nonetheless. Might I suggest a gold grill? Too much? Well darn, there's just no pleasing you, Julie. :-) better stick with impressive bags and shoes. However on a serious note, statement belts or even brooches. Atlantic-Pacific (Blaire) has a classic Chanel brooch that looks modern and cute on her blazers. And thanks for the hair compliment.
      Niki

      Delete
    2. "Nasty rashes are statement pieces on their own", a statement I shall refrain from making anytime soon....lol

      I agree with you on using other types of accessories as focal points. Shoes, bags, belts and scarves are my alternatives to the bolder jewelry pieces. The upside to my allergy is that the pieces I do buy are usually 18 karat gold, and have value beyond their style worth...okay, that's what I tell my husband and I'm sticking to it!!

      Delete