Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

Oh Yes it's Ladies Night and the...

...feeling's NOT SO right. Ugh. Have you gone to any group events on www.meetup.com? Well, I gave it a go tonight. My attempt to make more female friends was a total bomb. So I go to this dinner at a really nice seafood restaurant in St. Pete. Luckily I brought my friend from work with me. We split a bottle of wine and chatted with the 24 year olds with the perpetual Valley Girl meets Canadian inflection voice. "I'm into golf and rock climbing and tennis and yoga and I work for holistic medical sales companies and you must, oh you must stay in a hostel when you visit Switzerland and I'm allergic to gluten and meat and air." Good god, pour me another glass of wine and bring me the check, please.

So once they all got up to do 2 truths and a lie, I snuck off to the bathroom and then pretended to have a fake conversation on the phone where I proceeded to take the call outside all the way to the valet. I then ended my fake call once I couldn't be seen, handed my ticket to the valet guy who asked me how my evening went. I said, 'Ugh' to which he asked, "Oh bad date?" and I replied, "Yeah with a group of women." He then said, "Let me guess, you get along much better with men, don't you?" You guessed it buddy. If women could act more like dudes, sign me up. And the woman next to me went on and on about another meetup group she went to where they were sooo old, like 45! To which she then proceeded to ask the four of us our ages and was stunned when I looked her in the eye and said, "I just turned 41."

There really has to be better groups out there. I'm still hopeful and will continue to look.

Pin It!

17 comments:

  1. i've wondered what these meet=ups were like. the ones i've looked at are more interest- or issue-oriented, but i've never actually gone. thx for the report. i hope you find something better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. zomg-i feel your pain! and i must admit, i have done that fake phone call thing on a number of occasions. sigh.
    signed, still looking for female friends in the burgh, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the first time I faked a call and did it surprisingly well. I just need to form my own meetup group - women aged 38-45 who love to shop, eat, drink, and speak frankly but with tact and class. We'll meetup in different cities for weekends, go shopping all day, have lunch and dinner at swanky places and keep the wine flowing. We'll then explore the city at night, eat decadent dessert, and sleep in the next morning. Brunch, airport, then home. Who wants to join?!
      :-)
      Niki

      Delete
    2. being closer to 60 than 50 i'm way past your target audience. you whipper-snappers have fun, ok? ;)

      Delete
    3. It would be totally cool, right?! First I have to sell my CT house so I have travel $$. :-)
      Niki

      Delete
  3. I tried a meetup book club and it was awful. I went three times and all three times the people attending were different and clearly a bunch of dimwits. It was awful and there was no booze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come join my new imaginary group described above. :-) heck i could start one where I meet my followers. :-)
      Niki

      Delete
  4. So freaking funny! LOL I was hoping that you will give us a good review so I can go and try one of these groups, now I'm afraid. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping the next one is better.

      Delete
  5. I was curious about meetup.com because I'm looking for exercise groups .. mostly for hiking, but it seems like meet up to hook up .. or most of the groups seem like couples. Oh, well .. I haven't made any type of effort.

    The fake call right out to the valet had me rollin' .. too funny.

    Monica.
    www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe I pulled it off! "Yeah, no, really? I don't think so, huh? That's cool." Followed by fake laugh and head nodding.
      Niki

      Delete
  6. Oh, man! I don't do meet up groups like that for that exact reason. Got set up on a book club "blind date" many years ago that was APPALLING. Much better to be slightly lonely for a year or two while I find my tribe some other way. Best of luck to you -- but it sounds like you have a nice start on a fun social life without having to go on blind dates, so enjoy your weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh during a volunteer activity, a 20-something asked me to be a part of her spirtual book club. I told her I don't have time to read. Lol!
      Niki

      Delete
  7. You made me laugh, thank you!
    And you certainly deserve much better.

    Annette
    Lady of Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I like to do. Make people laugh. :-)
      Niki

      Delete