Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Burgundy Gone Wrong

Ugh, just ugh. Balmy day, bad choice to switch out the camera lens from my usual 50mm, shirt that shows my unattractive arm fat, and greasy, matted hair. Just disaster. All of it. But you learn from your mistakes and you move on trying different combinations until you get it right. Cause you know what? It's just fashion. It's easier to play with fashion than to make a hair change. Don't like an outfit? There's always something else hanging in the closet that you will like.  And sometimes it takes us a lifetime to figure out our style. As you can see, I'm still trying to figure it out. If you don't take fashion risks, how will you ever get to the point where you know what works? And even if you do figure it out, part of you may still want to try a style that you admire, a style you've seen others wear, a style that looked good on a body you wish you had. So you try and make it work. One thing I do know is that this blog and its daily photos have opened my eyes to what no one else can tell me. It's one thing to have a friend or relative tell you, "That color looks so good on you." It's another to see how the fabric drapes on your body, how the colors play off of your skin tone, and how all the pieces come together to form a cohesive look that you imagined. A look so perfect in your mind, so great on the hanger, but just didn't measure up when worn.

So how would I do this one over again? One simple thing could have turned this all around - a blazer. A structured blazer that isn't boxy - one that hugs my curves and provides the slim hourglass look that flatters my figure. I often think that J from J's Everyday Fashion has fallen into a blogger's rut with her whole skinny jeans look. At times I just want to unsubscribe to her blog because I know she'll never spend the money on good, quality pieces. She'll always buy fast fashion so she has something new to show you. Only how much new can you show when new is only a color swap on the same item? I don't want to fall into that rut. I don't want to show you work clothes punctuated by blazers in every color of the rainbow. I don't want to burn out on fashion or stop trying to find what works for me. Blazers are the easy way out. And I thrive on challenges.

 
{Blouse: Ann Taylor | Pants: J. Crew | Shoes: Nine West | Necklace: Ann Taylor}
 
 
Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. Your pants are of such a great shape and color.I'm not on the fast fashion wagon either and I propose you check out the viviene files. She's great and full of inspiration. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....I did NOT see that this was a disaster. Gotta be one of those "we are our own worst critics" moments. I agree with Angie that these pants are great, in both shape and color....I will add fit. I can see where a blazer would tie things up...but then you gotta take the blazer off at some point...and then you would be back to feeling uncomfortable.

    Now...onto your comments regarding J's.....AMEN SISTER!!! She posted that she felt she was in a rut not all that long ago, and I was reading the comments posted...only to have my jaw drop at all the comments telling her "no, no...darling, never change!" Uh, what? Skinny colored jeans with blazer, skinny jeans with heels, skinny jeans with boots....now presto magico skinny jeans with a belted cardigan and that's how you mix it up!! Uh yeah, no...not feeling it. Actually, reading your comments on her blog is how I originally linked to your blog. You had intelligent comments, and (gasp) constructive criticism that I found refreshing. Mind you, there are days on end when I feel that all I wear are jeans tucked into my Hunter boots. In an attempt to pull myself out of that rut, they (the boots) have been sent to closet Siberia (aka the back.....eek)...for now.
    Julie
    P.S. I may have to spring those boots today....it's pouring!!! Well, it is!! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you have an excuse with those Hunters, you live in perpetual rain! :-) I didn't know you found me via J. Well then I owe her...wait... I'm still thinking. Nope, can't come up with anything. But I am glad you follow me.
      Niki

      Delete
  3. I'll third the comments on J...stop stop stop with the cheap clothes!! I don't care so much if her style is skinnies (find what you like and works for your body and so on) but you don't need 35 cheap pairs! Get 2-3 that fit really well and wear the hell out of them!

    Also, not a disaster at all! I love the pants, have them myself--I've altered them to fit the crotch better--nipping in the waist in the back so I can wear them a touch higher and eliminate the droop that J Crew seems to have on me!

    And you hair is great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing of it is, is that she has a killer bod (not sure what's going on her with her one eye, though) so she would look so cute in, well, anything. I'm not saying she has to totally eliminate the fast fashion, but it looks like her budget is a couple hundred each month - buy an investment piece that you found on sale. Go to Norstrom Rack and get a killer jacket, an intriguing skirt. Break out of the skinny jean comfort zone. I can't say I'm surprised. I once read her bio and she sounds like she's a creature of comforts and chooses not to do anything with hair color, makeup, nails, etc.
      Niki

      Delete
  4. I'm not familiar with J's Everyday Fashion blog. So I googled it, flipped through it and I prefer to see someone's style (good or bad), I mean she's just copying catalog photo's. What's so special about that?

    Anyway, I think you look great .. :-)

    Monica
    www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and disagree. Because I think that there are influences in fashion all around us. I am a big believer in the quote 'great artists steal.' I happen to think her premise is pretty good. She's showing you how she interprets and puts together outfits based on what influences her. I do this, too. I just don't usually show you what influences me. I snap photos all the time of mannequins, colors in nature, etc. I pin color inspirations on Pinterest as well. And I steal color combos all the time from other bloggers. Thanks for your comment, Monica. I appreciate being able to have this banter with ya!
      Niki

      Delete
  5. DITTO with the comments on J's -- I've been thinking about unsubscribing too. But her make over shows are a lot more creative and cute and usable and do not totally rely on skinny jeans. Don't know why she use those for week-long blog series. I HATE SKINNY JEANS.

    Ditto also on I don't think this is as bad as you think it is. I really like the burgundy with the pink. I had my eye on those J. Crew pants and didn't go for them because I wasn't sure I could pull them off. Seeing them on you, I wish I had tried, they are awfully cute.

    I love how so many of your pieces have interesting details. You really think outside of the box with your selections. Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen her makeover shows - just pictures of clients and what they bought while with her. And I have to say - she tries to dress them like her. I recall seeing one woman whose figure was nothing like J's but yet all the clothes she bought were J's style. It's like when I was taking my makeup certification. When it came time for the practical, the girls in the class were just applying makeup to the subjects as if they were applying it on themselves. They weren't looking at the client's skin, coloring, eye shape, face shape for contouring and highlighting, etc. Gucci Westman isn't a one-trick pony, which is why she is one of the most sought after makeup artists for the runway. She understands what the client wants and makes it happen. It just doesn't seem like J has that ability. I could be wrong, though.

      Thank you for the compliments on my outfit. I do love the pants! And you are right. I like the intersting. I like the details. I like what others don't have or haven't thought of. I like being different in a sea of the same. And unfortunately, this isn't a popular way to be. But it's my way. It's true to my personality. :-)
      Niki

      Delete
    2. You seem like you're having a rough week. So I'm just sending you happy thoughts. Don't worry about popular! Isn't that what our 40's are supposed to be about? Liberating ourselves from other people's opinions? Sending smiles...

      Delete
  6. I think you look great Niki! Your hair looks awesome; I love the burgundy top on you - I think it is very flattering to your skin tone. And i love your necklace choice. Beautiful look overall! I view your blog everyday, and on the days you mention your hair doesn't look good, or something similar, I think just the opposite! I think we all have the same thoughts about ourselves, though.

    ReplyDelete