Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Is it Summer?

Is this summer or winter? 80 degree weekends, short sleeves, full sun? While most of the country is bundled up, Floridians get to enjoy the best part of Florida for about 4 - 5 months. Our winter months are amazing. Before I moved up north, I couldn't wait for October to come. It means a change in temps and humidity.

Our 7-8 months of humidity is stifling. August and September are the absolute worst to plan any outdoor events. And God forbid if you don't have a pool and air conditioning during the summer and fall. I grew up without a pool and it was hard. If you're lucky, you have friends whose parents have a house with a pool that is within biking or walking distance. You go hang there all day, eat Doritos and Oreos, and swim to stay alive in the heat. So when October rolls around and you get that break in the air where a light jacket is necessary, you relish every moment of dry air.

And after being up north for four years, I truly appreciate Florida winters now. I know there will be days when I can wear sweaters and boots and other days (like this past weekend) when short sleeves and flip flops make my northern friends envious for warmer temps. I never fully appreciated FL sunshine, was shocked about a year ago when I was diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency (really?! - oh yeah, makes sense - the sky is gray day after day in CT), and am totally loving that it stays light until 6pm each evening, rather than 4pm in CT.

I think CT winters are still fresh in my mind and I can still feel the bitter cold going right through every pore on my body, the cracked and bleeding fingers, the itchy, dry skin all over, and the stillness of our neighborhood where it seemed eerie during cold, quiet evenings. No leaves on the trees, no birds singing, no families outside cooking on the grill or playing in the yard, no one enjoying a glass of wine or a wonderful meal on the deck of a fabulous restaurant. Just silent, cold days and nights. I'm really thankful we were able to come home as I don't think hubby and I could have made it through another winter in Connecticut.

Like my shirt? $10 at JCP! How about my little duck drying his wings? He's there every day.


{Shirt: JCP. Sold out online. Bought mine in store. | Pants: NYDJ | Shoes: Nine West | Necklace: J. Crew | Hair ornament: handmade}


Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Love this color combo.

    I'm pretty happy right now with midwest temps in the 60's in December...that's my kind of weather. I think Florida will sound pretty good by mid-January though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 60s sound pretty good with me, too. Enjoy while you can!
      Niki

      Delete
  2. I'm originally from Massachusetts and no, I never miss the cold weather now that I live in San Diego. I wouldn't even go back if I could live for free.

    Cute pants! I am lacking bright color pants in my wardrobe.

    Monica
    http://www.pear-shaped-gal.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. San Diego is beautiful! Especially flying into that part of CA with the mountains, valley, and ocean. I don't blame you for not wanting to go back to the northeast.
      Niki

      Delete