Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Black

Ewwww weee. I am drunkie drunk drunk as I type this. Hubby and I have been eating low carb dinners for the last couple of nights and that means I can have VINO!  Whooo hooo. I love me some red wine. So glad I typed most of this earlier today. Just hope my blood pressure doesn't spike for my lady parts doctor visit tomorrow. TMI? Oh we all have to go. My main reason for going tomorrow is for my first mammogram. Time to get the boobies checked out.

I've talked about my "Closet" iPhone app before. When I lived in CT and had my clothes scattered everywhere in small closets, it was a very helpful app. I haven't been relying on it all that much since moving back to FL as I now have a walk-in closet where I can see almost all my clothes (angels singing). If I'm feeling rather lazy at night, I'll take a look at some of the outfit combos I've put together in the past and say, 'Hmm. I forgot about that one. I think I'll wear that tomorrow." Or I'll play around with the app like a Magic 8 ball and see what kooky combos it comes up with for me.  But recently I found a new way to use the app. You know how you earmark (dog ear - however you say it) pages in fashion mags where you want to buy something or want to recreate an outfit? I used to have pages scattered everywhere with inspiration pics. This past weekend I took pictures with my phone and stored them in my Closet app under an Items category called "Inspiration." I then created an "Inspirations" Outfits category where I added my magazine pictures and then added items from my closet to see if I could recreate the outfits from the magazines.

No longer do I have ripped out pages from magazines lying in the living room, bedroom, and dining table. As soon as I rip out a page, I take a pic and then throw the page away.

So while looking at the Zara website, I came across a couple of looks that I wanted to recreate. After this past weekend, I pretty much had all the elements except a dark gray shirt. And then I remembered that I had an Old Navy tank top that would work since I was covering it up with the jacket. So here's my recreation. I plan to do more of these and you may be saying, "Well that's what J's Everyday Fashion blog does." Well, true. But I'm not a size 2 or XS. I have an hourglass/pear shaped body where I can't just run into a store and grab the first thing off a rack to recreate a look. I have to hunt down larger sizes to make a recreation happen. For instance, I can't wear pants from The Limited, Forever 21, and H&M. The pants I buy from J. Crew have to be purchased online because I'm bigger on the bottom than on top. I'm a size 14 in skirts and have found J. Crew skirts fit me well, as do skirts from Asos, Loft, and Ann Taylor. I also feel like most of J's recreations happen via fast fashion. And I'm all for fast fashion (especially since hubby and I are still supporting a northern mortgage and southern rent). However, I do have a few gems in my closet that I like to throw in. I also get inspiration from store mannequins and real life strangers. And let's not forget the colors of nature and combos I can create from makeup or color wheel inspirations. I don't feel like I'm offering up advice on my blog about how to dress like J does. I'm just a 40-year old woman who likes fashion and wants an outlet in which to show it off. I'm a technical writer with a creative side and this is how I express myself. Was that enough justification? Oh, and let's not forget that I will shamelessly copy any fashion blogger's outfit and make it my own. Because as Jobs once said, "Good artists copy, great artists steal."

Sorry about the no shoes shot. It's my Nine West Andriana black suede pumps.



{Jacket: Forever 21 | Buy it here. | Tank: Old Navy | Jeans: Old Navy Rockstar. Buy them here. | Necklace: Forever 21. Similar here.}
 
 

Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Been reading for awhile now, but this is my first comment b/c I think this is my favorite outfit you've ever posted. Love how sleek everything is, including the awesome necklace. Plus your hair looks fabulous!
    -s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Simone! When I came home at lunchtime my husband said "you look hot." so i knew this was a good outfit. Lol!
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another winner, Niki. I think you really rock the monochromatic look. Well, since I'm throwing out the complements....really love the witty comments that you share....something that I find lacking in other blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you very much! I appreciate your sweet comment.
      Niki

      Delete
  4. Love this look - definitely hot! Kudos for getting the mammogram. I had my first a few weeks ago too and realized it was a much smaller deal than I anticipated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. It wasn't but just a little pressure. No biggie. Wasn't even all that concerned about exposing myself in front of the nice lady. I was like, 'okay here they are - take a picture.' And that was at 8:15 in the morning with no adult beverages. LOL! Thanks for the comment. :-)
      Niki

      Delete