Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

Retired Chi

So I retired my Chi flat iron. I've had it for probably 10 years and it has served me well. But I got a new friend now. But I'm getting ahead of myself. If you remember from my Fashion Night Out post, I stopped a girl in MAC to ask where she gets her hair done. More so the color than the cut. She had the blonde highlights I wanted. She referred me to Toni & Guy in International Plaza.

You've seen the cut; care of a 22 year old woman named Courtney. I normally can't stand how hairstylists blow dry and flat iron my hair. I say 'pin straight,' and I typically leave with a Sally Field helmet in which the trained receptionist says, 'Oh it looks so good.' Uh huh. Right. I've only had one stylist 'get' my hair and give me an amazing blow out, as well as highlights. She understood the base color needed to be a level 6 or 7 so as not to wash me out. She took her time with the blow drying and flat ironing and I left the salon not wanting to wash my hair for days. Of course, I have to wash after the second day because I just can't stand it. I ended up moving to CT and my former stylist now lives in Utah. But now I have Courtney, who not only does an amazing cut, she makes my hair feel like silk when she is done.

Because I've been highlighting my hair for the last two years and covering the gray, I've been ending up with a top layer of damage due to overlapping the bleach. I've been blow drying my hair on low because it feels less like straw than when I blow dry on high. I put in a dab of Chi Silk Infusion with a little Fekkai Ironless Straightening Balm before I blow dry. I blow dry with either a round brush or paddle brush and then flat iron. But it's still been looking stiff and damaged with those products.

When I saw Jenny the other night at Toni & Guy for full highlights, I was a bit worried that I was going to do even more damage. Jenny mixed in a few lowlights up top to help with the damaged areas. She also recommended Tigi S Factor Serious Conditioner and gave me a similar sample to try at home first. I love how the highlights turned out and feel back to normal (pics coming soon). I had Courtney style my hair again and this time I paid attention to the products she used, as well as her flat iron that seemed to make my hair silky and shiny. It felt great, too.

So here are the products I recommend based on personal experience that have given me amazing results. Please note that I have a lot of hair, but it's very fine.  So you may experience different results based on the texture of your hair. I cannot say enough about the shine spray. I used to use Rusk Thermal spray before I flat ironed. I'm so impressed with Tigi's shine spray. One word of caution - too much of it can make your hair look greasy. So go easy. Do a little research online for the best prices as salon prices can be high. However, I don't recommend Amazon as I've read and heard too much about other products not being authentic.

Tigi S Factor Serious Conditioner

 
Tigi S Factor Flat Iron Shine Spray
 
And now for the holy grail. I have no idea how this flat iron can make straw look like silk, but it does. It's easier to handle than the Chi and you can get closer to the roots. I believe there's a newer version in silver but I went with the one Courtney used.
 
Paul Mitchell Express Ion Smooth

 
 
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the pictures of your hair? Maybe you can do a "before" and "after"? Glad it worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm actually waiting on a non-humid day. :-)

    ReplyDelete