Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Pajamas for Work

When I was down in Tampa a couple of weeks ago for my interviews, my sister said, "I want some leopard shoes," to which her husband just rolled his eyes. She then thrusted a Target ad at me with the page opened to $12 leopard ballet flats. Knowing how I'm feeling about fast fashion, she knew which buttons to push by luring me in with, "they have them in hot pinkkkkkk." Sold. Let's go.

My sister and I have a couple of traditions when I come to visit that I hope we continue when I live there. Hopefully we won't be pulling out each other's hair after a week of living in the same house. So we go for mani/pedis and take an evening to go sit at a restaurant bar and have drinks and just gab for two hours. It's bonding time that I cherish and we've been doing this for about a year now. My sister and I are also looking forward to starting some new traditions, such as cooking and baking. Before I moved up to Connecticut, my sister and I broke out our Kitchen Aid stand mixers for the holidays and made cookies with my mom and my husband. My hubby was the official cookie tester.

So as we were heading out to be barflies, we stopped by Tarjay for some fancy footwear. Unfortunately, the hot pink ballet flats were not as comfortable as J. Crew's (I have to have some support or I can't wear ballet flats at all) and were not part of the $12 sale selection. I ended up buying a pair of $20 hot pink ballet flats but had my sister return them as they didn't offer enough support. I'll keep watching eBay for J. Crew hot pink Cece ballets flats. We are also our mother's daughters and shopping fiends. So we had to try on clothes. I mean what's a trip to Tarjay without a stroll through the women's clothing? I found this color blocked maxi dress. At first we weren't so sure about it but after trying it on, we were sold with how slim it made my behind and hips look. And my fast fashion consciousness went out the door. See? This is what happens. Something sparkly, pretty, unique, cheap, etc. catches my eye and I throw caution to the wind. I have a feeling I'll be struggling with quality over cost for the rest of my life.

I also knew I wanted to cover my arms but thought I would just throw a jean jacket over the dress. After looking through my closet, my multi-colored Zara blazer seemed like a natural fit. A little color blocking, a little pattern mixing with the same colors and wha-la, an outfit is born. And I gotta tell you, wearing knit maxi dresses to work feels like wearing pajamas.


{Dress: Target. Buy it here. | Blazer: Zara | Shoes: J. Crew Cece. Buy other colors here. | Necklace: J. Crew. | Lipstick: MAC Rebel. Buy it here.}


Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. PJs at work? I think I'm going to buy some maxi items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So comfortable. You can wrap the skirt around your legs at work and it's like being in t-shirt heaven.
      Niki

      Delete
  2. Its a very cute outfit. I really like the color pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great colour combination with the blue and green.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!! this outfit is gorgeous, I love those colors and the way you wear them.
    mysmallwardrobe.com

    ReplyDelete