Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

Mixin' & Matchin'

My sister, nephew, and I were playing last night in the room I'm staying in. Sister and I were looking at my clothes and she wants me to make it a point to wear everything that still has a tag. We started with this skirt that I've had for awhile (tag still attached). Sister of course was picking out conservative shirts but I wanted some pattern mixing. One of the women I work with really liked yesterday's outfit and commented that she normally just wears black with a pop of color. I think when you put yourself out on the Internet as a fashion blogger, risks and different spins on everyday outfits are expected. And I've grown quite fond of taking fashion risks for you.

I know not everything I wear is going to be a home run, but hopefully I give you some ideas of how to think a little outside the box. Take this outfit for example. This skirt would have looked great with just a simple black blouse. The colors in the skirt could have stood on their own against a solid top. And I'd be happy to show you another way to wear this skirt that involves a solid top. I also like to show you how to wear items a little differently. By selecting just a couple of colors in the skirt, you can easily do pattern mixing. The most common type of pattern mixing is a print with a stripe. Pick the print first and then select a striped shirt with no more than two of the colors that can be found in the printed pants or skirt. That's it! Give it a try and break out of the drab matchy-matchy rut.


 
{Top: Loft | Skirt: J. Crew | Shoes: J. Crew | Lipstick: Hourglass Fever}
 
 
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. I am about to order some of these shoes, but I dont often wear flats ( I am a bit of a heel girl I must admit) - are they comfy flats ? They look great , but I sometimes find the soles a bit thin, but your close up looks like these would be fine! Love your blog. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have terrible feet. I've had my nerves frozen in my right heel and my feel are incredibly sore all the time. Therefore I can't wear most ballet flats. And when I do wear them, I try not to do a lot of walking. J Crew's ballet flats seem to have a little more cushion in the heels than others, which is why I buy them. I typically buy them either via ebay or when they are on sale and an extra % off. Hope that helps.
      Niki

      Delete
  2. Beautifully done.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that skirt is absolutely incredible! So nice :))


    Lots of love,
    Sabina
    xxx

    Enter my studded corset giveaway in collaboration with Kat Valdez!

    ReplyDelete