Pages

Friday, August 17, 2012

Can you really go home?

I got into Tampa Wednesday night around 5:30. My sister hung a welcome home sign on the garage door, which was very sweet. Since then I've been to the DMV to get my driver's license and have visited six apartment complexes to try and find something close to my new job. Haven't been able to register my car as I need husband's original signature on a Power of Attorney and need the bill of sale for my car since I bought it less than six months ago.


Florida has really become stringent on the paperwork needed to get my driver's license. I kid you not when I say you have to bring a birth certificate, current driver's license, social security card, marriage certificate, and two pieces of mail addressed to me with my sister's address on it. I'm so glad I called beforehand to find this out. And when I got there, the type of mail I had wasn't acceptable. Really? A change of address form from USPS isn't acceptable? Luckily the clerk next to mine said what I brought was acceptable. Good thing I didn't have to fork over a pint of blood.

And this leads me to wonder - can you really go back home after a being away for years without it feeling strange? Roads that I travelled and knew by heart I now have to Google because I can't remember how to get around town. New roads have sprung up while I was away. I now have the things I've been craving readily accessible and I still have to remind myself that it's not a visit with family this time. Feels weird to be driving my car and not be driven around by my sister. My wardrobe looks massive in my sister's spare bedroom closet so I'll be making a trip to get another portable garment rack. I'm grateful to her and her husband for letting me stay in their house while our life feels so chaotic right now.


Woozie did great on the trip. After the first hour of wimpering and panting through New York, she realized she wasn't going to the Vet. And she's been adapting really well at my sister's house. Well except when it thundered, in which she promptly ran under my nephew's bed.


Tomorrow my search continues for temporary living arrangements. On Monday I start my new job and will have a new outfit to share with you.
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Good to hear you got there safely and thanks for the adorable pic of Woozie! Also, for your thoughts & experiences on this new chapter of your life. The DMV experience would have annoyed & drained moi but as usual you are on top of it & wow, you are already unpacked & organized...excellent.
    Your question about going home was timely. I happened to be in the town where I spent most of my life yesterday & it was kind of strange...in some ways like I never lived there...it has become more "city like" & altho' there are no new streets it seems every available parcel of land has new construction. The center of town which used to be so typical New England appeared congested & ugly. Oh well.
    Hope you get some rest this weekend! Best wishes on starting your new job on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. My type A personality and wanting to feel settled drove the closet organization. But I still have to hang dresses and blazers. I know I'll get used to living here again. It's a big change but one for the better. Hubby and I knew it would be a bit rocky for a few months and having the house on the market will make for budgeted living for a few months. But hopefully I've staged it right for a quick sale. Fingers crossed.
      Niki

      Delete
  2. Wishing you good thoughts on this new chapter Niki; relocation and employment!! My eyes teared up reading your post............from one type A to another. I remember applying for my Texas license after relinquishing my NY license and didn't have all the documents. I politely asked for my NY license back. Nope..they wouldn't give it back to me! LOL Just remember not to sweat the "small stuff". Fingers crossed for a quick sale and a wonderful first day on Monday! Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane (which is my middle name ;-) and my mom's first name). I can't believe they wouldn't give you back your license. They would rather you drive to get the necessary docs w/out a license? That's just bizarre. I'm gonna shower and get out the door before the afternoon rain comes. Gotta check out some more apts. I will tell you that I'm looking forward to cooking with my sister tonight. :-) We're already finding things on pinterst to cook together. And hearing my nephew say "Nay Nay" in the mornings is wonderful. Of course it's quickly followed by "dog dog."
      Niki

      Delete