Pages

Friday, July 27, 2012

Green Rain

I originally wasn't going to post today because of the weatherman going into panic mode with impending rain. But after I finished my makeup and looked out the window, I didn't see any rain. The sky did decide to open up on us just as we finished the last picture.

I was also going to rant and rave about the whole Chick-Fil-A thing, but decided this is not the time or place for it. I miss Chick-Fil-A. We don't have them in Connecticut. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and beliefs regarding politics and religion. As long as these beliefs are not preached or thrusted upon me, I'll sit quietly in the corner eating the best chicken sandwich in the US.

So this is another fast fashion dress. I still have quite a few new fast fashion items in my closet. I bought them before I started reading Elizabeth Cline's book. Although I will continue to shop at Zara and J. Crew, I am going to ease up on Forever 21, Gap, and Old Navy. In this economy, it's simply not possible to completely ditch fast fashion. But what is possible is to be cognizant of those who make our clothing and to try to buy USA-made, vintage, and save up for quality.


(Dress: Old Navy | Shoes: Rock & Republic for Kohl's | Necklace: J. Crew | Hair tie: Anthropologie}

Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. It is a very cute dress. I have read the book and it has made a huge difference in the way I view fashion. I have already been thrifting (before reading the book) and paying attention to where the clothes I choose are made.
    It's pretty common, right now, to still be able to find thrifted clothes that are made in the USA, of better fibers and construction. Even the little hanger straps on dresses were better made in the early to mid 90's. Now, they are just little vinyl-y plastic things that irritate my skin and annoy me with their cheap-ness.
    I've decided that I will keep my 'fast fashion' clothing as long as it is holding up because to toss it is just to pass the problem along to someone else.
    The other day, I bought a thrifted skirt that said 'made in mexico'. I thought about all of the young girls working in the maquiladoras in Juarez; about how they worked ridiculous hours for little pay, how they were subject to poor physical working environment, their basic needs given little attention, the pressure to turn out pieces quickly, lack of benefits, poor safety and the sexism and discrimination they endure. I bought that little skirt for $2.75 at a local thrift shop..and though about how I will think of them every time I wear my skirt.

    Elizabeth Cline's book has had an impact on me and I'm still sorting it out...but I can say that my retail clothing shopping days are nearly 100% over. On a rare occasion, I may make a retail clothing purchase if I need to buy pants (no luck with that in thrift because of my extreme pear shape) or a suit or an evening dress, but other than those items, I can't bear to purchase 'fast fashion'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....and my enthusiasm for the Ross store that just opened near us was very short-lived....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably continue to buy fast fashion, just not as much of it. I'm a sucker for new and cheap. But I will be more aware of what I'm buying and will think if it's something I need vs want and how long it may last. Moving down to FL will give me better options for thrift store, outdoor flea markets, etc.
      Niki

      Delete
  3. I know you don't want to get into the Chic-Fil-A thing, but there is a connection to fast fashion. If you choose to buy a product but disagree with/dislike how the money you've given the producer is used (low wages for example, or money to political groups you don't like) you are giving tacit approval.

    I'm not at all claiming that I make my choices this way; I wish I was better about where my clothes are made and where I choose to buy anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. You make a good point.
      Niki

      Delete
  4. Niki!
    Congratulations on your new job!! That's awesome! I've had a hard time balancing everything so I completely understand!

    You look beautiful in this Old Navy dress and your 'Springish' outfit! I'm am trying to do the same about fast fashion. In fact, I may go on a ban soon!

    xo, sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam. I may have to go on a ban myself just out of sheer financial necessity with the move.
      Niki

      Delete
  5. This is adorable! What book has everyone read that I obviously need to put on my list these three weeks between school?

    ReplyDelete