Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Boucle

I love this top. I got it a couple of months ago at Asos (they even have a matching dress). Although while wearing it at work, I felt a bit exposed (not so much naked, but drafty). I did put a tank top on to take care of being able to see anything through the mesh. There are just so many possibilities as to what I can pair this top with. Today I chose a J. Crew purple pencil skirt (it has little pockets in the back!), but I could have easily paired it with black pants, hot pink shorts, etc.

And I apologize for the pictures for the next couple of days. I'm flying solo as my photographer is on African safari shooting pictures for Time magazine. Okay that's a lie. Hubby is really in Virginia on a business trip.

We had pretty bad thunderstorms yesterday and through the evening so it was very humid this morning and my camera kept fogging up and my hair wanted so badly to curl up but instead decided to be full of frizznizzles the rest of the day. Not to mention it's not easy trying to get back shots with a remote. So bear with me for the next couple of days until my cameraman returns from photographing models in Milan.

Oh and speaking of hair. I have a tip for you with blonde highlights. If your highlights are getting a little brassy (or they didn't lighten up enough at the salon) and the purple shampoos aren't making much of a difference (they only help a tiny bit), a toner works wonders! I get my toner and developer from Sally Beauty Supply. It's really a very simple process and takes 15 minutes.

You'll need one box of Wella Color Charm T18 (also known as 'White Lady') toner, plus a bottle of 20V cream developer. The toner is 1.4oz. You will need to mix the toner with twice as much developer (2.8oz). It's a 1:2 ratio of toner to developer. I use a plastic mixing bowl and apply by brush (I use my kitchen scale to make sure I weigh the proper amount of developer). You could also use a plastic squeeze bottle to help with the measurements. Mix or shake the toner and developer and let it sit for a few minutes. It will turn purple. Apply to your whole head. Really saturate the blonde strands. I leave the toner on for 10-15 minutes, uncovered. Don't worry if it looks like your blonde is turning brown. It's not. The purple is neutralizing the orange/yellow. Shampoo and style as normal and you will have brass-free hair for about a month. I applied toner last night.



{Top: Asos. Buy it here. | Skirt: J. Crew | Shoes: J. Crew. Buy them here. | Bracelet: Marc Jacobs. Buy it here. | Lipstick: Hourglass Fever. Buy it here.}

Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. J Crew pencil skirts are the best!!! They fit when I was smaller before a baby and they fit now (albeit two sizes bigger) after baby. Just got one on final sale in store, $36 after sale and 40% off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice score! I wish I had waited a couple of days for the 40% off sale as I just bought 2 pairs of shorts last week. Oh well. I did get my Ella dress and skirt in Porcelain Paisley that I've been consumed with since first see it on the website.
      Niki

      Delete
  2. Great outfit. I see the possibilities with that shirt.

    Your hair looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Niki,
    Cute as always! Here is the link to my blog post that mentions you and shares your picture. Hope you're pleased, and again, thanks very much!
    Cindy
    http://simplyricherliving.blogspot.com/2012/07/where-do-you-get-fashion-advice.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the shout out and nice commentary about my blog, Cindy. I really appreciate it!!
      Niki

      Delete
  4. Hi! I would like to open beauty salon. Does anybody have an experience in this business? There are too many options in different salon equipment. Could anybody give me an advise? What store is more reliable to buy Salon uv sterilizer and Uv sterilizer lamp. I'm choosing between Advance-Esthetic.Com and Spa&Equipment websites.

    ReplyDelete