Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

Channeling Carrie

Do you still pine over the the loss of Sex and the City? Watch Tuesday night reruns on TBS? Have the six season box set? Does your husband roll his eyes when he enters the room and asks you what's on TV knowing full well it's yet another episode of a show that ended way too soon? Welcome to my world. And even though SATC 2 was a horrible movie, I still watch it when it's on. And oh how I wish Sara Jessica Parker would have left her face alone. Nips and tucks just never seem to go right on most people. My favorite season was season 2. Carrie was young, vibrant, and looked her best. It was just a really great season with great fashion.


So this post and my outfit/hair are dedicated to Carrie Bradshaw. A TV fashionista icon I will never tire of.


It took me quite a bit of searching just to find the turquoise tank with red collar that she wore to say goodbye to Aiden after cheating on him with Big. Can you believe that I have actually wanted to wear red and turquoise since seeing this seen 10 years ago, but never have? Until now. I just couldn't find the right pieces or colors in the past to pull off the look. And I'm not too crazy about the leopard pumps with the outfit, but couldn't find a suitable option otherwise.


This isn't the greatest pic, but it's all I could find to showcase her great tank top.


Next up, Carrie's hair. When Sara Jessica was growing out her hair, she often wore straight styles on the show. I thought the show did a good job of her grow-out phase. Cause it could have turned into an ugly 'Felicity' moment. Sara Jessica has a long face and can get away with parting her hair down the middle or pulling it all back with no part. Unfortunately, it doesn't look right on my round face, so I do a side part when I wear my hair in a bun. I wear my hair like this when I want to give it a break from everyday styling. It's not my favorite look but my hair thanks me for it. I love the contrast of Carrie's blonde and dark locks. It's not matchy matchy and it's how I like to highlight my hair. I like keeping the base about two shades darker than what most hair stylists want it to be. Too light and I just look sallow. How good does Mr. Big look in this pic? Yum! I have an early pic of my husband with almost the same expression and it's just hot!


So on to my outfit. I bought the top at the Talbots Outlet (not clearance outlet) in San Marcos, Texas. I love the cowl neckline. And now that I have a bit of a tan, I feel a little more confident showing off my arms. I'm still not completely comfortable with it, but it was a nice, warm day today (thank goodness!).

And I just keep loving my Not Your Daughter's Jeans. They have an amazing fit and launder well. No fading, no issues at all.


{Blouse: Talbots Outlet | Jeans: NYDJ. Buy them here. | Shoes: JC Penney. Similar here and here. | Ring: unknown (old) | Necklace: Claire's Boutique | Watch: Cartier Tank | Lipstick: Nars Dragon Girl. Buy it here.}
Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. OMG, even if I'm going to be late, have to make time to comment! Love this! Couldn't wait to see your outfit & my first thot was...Hot! It's simple but has impact. Great job and you hit a cord for me this morn. Some favorite episodes that we watchwatchwatch: The Real Me, Where There's Smoke and I Heart NY. We are always quoting it too. So much fun & good memories. I was never a big :) Mr. Big fan but in that scene with that look...when he describes his parents, I get tears in my eyes since that's what I always thot about mine when they were going out! I was wondering which pic you were commenting on about him. And then, ta-da! Thanks for getting this "kid's" Monday off to an inspired start, Niki! Totally agree with you on SATC. And, Yes to your first three questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got to meet Mr. Big. Well sort of. My husband, sister-in-law, and brother-in-law went to see The Normal Heart on Broadway and the cast came out after. I didnt' have the fancy camera at the time but got a few pics with the iphone. Wasn't as dreamy in person. ;-)
      Niki

      Delete
  2. So funny because I FINALLY got to watch the second movie last night so I've had Carrie on the brain. Gosh I love that show. Anyway, this outfit is fabulous and I love the shoes with it too. Well played!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 2nd movie blows. The outfits are hideous. They are all dressed like Patricia Field dresses. It reminds me of the really old woman in the movie Shallow Hal trying to dress like she's 25. And the movie came out when flaunting your wealth in a downed economy...well as I said, just hideous. But I'm glad you liked my outfit! ;-)
      Niki

      Delete
  3. Turquoise and a strawberry-red are one of my favorite color combinations! I even have it in my Le Crueset peices - cherry red and the new Marsaille blue. And the lightend up version of aqua and pink is just as wonderful (and I prefer it to turquoise and coral). Love the look and your blog! From another 40-ish fashionista ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm jealous of your Le Crueset collection. I have yet to add that to my cookware. Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it!
      Niki

      Delete
  4. As an aside, I am currently fascinated with the new Sally Hansen line of 'Smooth & Perfect' nail colors. Each shade is pale & pearly - just really lovely. I did 2 coats of "Sea" on my fingers and Essie's "Tropy Wife" on toes - fantastic! A very mermaid-y like theme that works wonderful with other tropical blue colors, clothes, and accessories. At my local Bartell's Drugstore (Pacific Northwest) each color is on sale for $3.24 per bottle plus a $1 off coupon. And the polish itself - with basecoat and top coat - has lasted 8 days now with only one teeny chip. Many different colors from Fog to Sea. This is not my site but a good look at the colors: http://www.love4lacquer.com/2012/05/sally-hansen-smooth-perfect-sheer.html I'm going in for a polish change tomorrow and trying out Sorbet & Whisper.

    If/when you do add Le Crueset to your collection I can't say enough good things about it. I just really love each peice I have - from a 5qt flat bottom baker that works wonders as a risotta pan to my salt & pepper shakers - just really great, sturdy, beautiful cookware. We even serve our (very spoiled) cats their tuna treats in a Le Creuset dish. Easily found on eBay or outlet stores for less than retail, too. Great quality doesn't have to cost a fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great outfit..I love the color combination! Your hair looks great up and slicked back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly. It's my go-to lazy hair. ;-)
      Niki

      Delete
  6. I love this color combo! The teal and the red plus a touch of leopard...yes please! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was hard finding the right colors. I originally wanted to pair red pants with a turquoise shirt but have yet to find the perfect shirt.
      Niki

      Delete