Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Post Production Editing

I had a comment tonight on my Butterflies post that said I look too young to be 40 and that my skin looks good. This comment got me thinking and I wanted to do a post on my blogging process and photo editing technique.

If you have a nice camera with lenses, most likely you do post production work in Photoshop or some other photo editing software. I can't imagine any top fashion blogger not doing some kind of photo retouching.

My husband has a plethora of professional skills, one of which is graphic arts.  He has spent a lot of time sitting with me and helping me understand some of the basics and more complex features of Photoshop. I'm still a novice and mostly use Photoshop for editing pictures in my personal life and manipulating screen shots in my professional life.

So here's the deal. I'm an honest person. What you see with me is what you get. If you want my opinion on something, I'll tell you the truth. I don't hold back or sugar coat. With that being said, I like my pics to look the best they can for you. My husband typically takes my pictures each morning before I leave for work. I usually write the content on my lunch hour and edit the pics when I get home. I then schedule the post to publish at midnight. What you see today is what I wore yesterday. I don't like to do too many posts in advance. Posting daily is my motivation to maintain my current weight (or try to lose the last 10 lbs) and dress up for work without falling back into my rut of jeans, tees, and flip flops.

So back to the pictures. I have a few forehead wrinkles, a chicken pox scar on my forehead, and a line across the top of my nose between my eyebrows. I smooth these things out using clone stamp in Photoshop. I try not to smooth out everything so that it looks overly done. I keep my clone stamp capacity set around 40% or lower so that there's no harsh blending. It's my little Photoshop Botox treatment.  I have nothing against Botox, it's just not for me at this point in my life.

I rarely touch up any other areas of my face (I could go all crazy touching up the bags under my eyes and dark circles - but I rarely do). If I have a pimple, I will try to smooth that out. No one wants to see pimples in pictures.  Also, if there are little fuzzies on my clothes or I have pantylines, I'll smooth those out. I really could do a lot more retouching, but I'm trying to show you the real me in real clothes that I've purchased.

I also retouch my feet. I have a lot of scars and I'm constantly getting new scabs either from scratching the tops of my feet, bug bites, or blisters from shoes. I have to look at that daily, no reason why you should have to.

The last thing I do is adjust the Auto Contrast. It just helps bring out true colors.

So that's it. A little bit of forehead retouching, covering up of feet scars, and adjusting the contrast of my pics.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I like editing pictures in photoshop but I am still a beginner. I really feel you. My husband also tries to help me understand some functions. As a blogger, learning photoshop is highly recommended. I like reading your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete