Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Keeping it Weird in Austin? Nooo, San Antonio!

Hello San Antonio! Oh how I’ve wanted to go to the River Walk for years now. It’s less than a two hour drive from Austin and my main reason for renting the car on Tuesday. I figured if I’m this close, I might as well go for it. And I love to explore different cities. I’m pretty adventurous when it comes to travel. Always have been.  I think it started when I was 16 and got a small dose of NYC with my family. After college, I searched for a job that would afford me travel opportunities. For three years I worked with a company out of St. Pete, FL where I would travel all around the US and train finance and insurance personnel on our accounting software. I’ve been to almost every state, with the exception of North Dakota, Hawaii, and Alaska. I’ve picked cotton on the side of the road in Georgia, gone for boat rides on Lake Michigan, eaten a lovely brunch on the deck of the Hotel Coronado in San Diego, gone down river rapids in Oregon, and driven through my first blizzard in in Wyoming on my way to Denver. So how can I not travel the hour and a half to San Antonio?

And the River Walk did not disappoint. I walked along the banks under the city of downtown San Antonio, hitched a ride on one of the riverboat tours, and ate tacos under one of the infamous, colorful umbrellas. Why do people insist on feeding the birds and ducks? I had to swat them away and practically had a duck sitting on my foot the entire meal looking up at me with sad duck ‘give me a chip’ eyes.

I’m sorry, Austin, but San Antonio blows your arse away! It’s hard to imagine this crooked river (only 4 feet deep) with its system of locks and newer passages is located directly under the city. How fortunate for the people of San Antonio. I’m in love and hope to return one day.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment