Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Jeans Week - Look 4

I originally wasn't going to post today because of how sucky the weather (and my mood) is: rain, thick fog, and hubby and I slipping into SAD from lack of sunshine from crappy dappy murky muggy yuckiness. I really don't know which is worse - donning full winter garb on a gray, snowy day or donning full rain gear on a gray, rainy day that never seems to end. Had I known it was like this in CT, I never would have moved up here. When it rains in Florida, it comes through in black, stormy, threatening clouds that quickly sweep across the sky resulting in 10-30 minutes of full-on torrential downpours. What emerges is sunshine amid humid, steamy stickiness. When it rains in CT, we get 3+ days of misty, sprinkly, and full-on downpours. It has been like this for three weeks and I'm just over it. I now understand why popular New York location bloggers will go for days without posting.


Mid-way through putting on my makeup after pulling up my wet hair, I said, "Screw it. I'm gonna post my outfit cause I have some great followers that like theme weeks." I'm not gonna let this weather interrupt my blogging, especially since I got a break in the rain just long enough to get a few pics. And let's hope this is the end of it as tomorrow (and for the next 4-5 days) is supposed to be sunny.


So if you can deal with my awful, wet hair, we'll move onto the outfit. I did get my second pair of jeans from Sears in the mail last night (seen here) and they fit just as nicely as the first pair I picked up in the store. I was in the Trumbull mall yesterday at H&M and saw this peachy-pink J. Crew-ish bauble necklace calling my name. They only had two and one was a bit rough on the underside. It was a steal at $12.95 (compared to J. Crew's $150 outrageous price!). This necklace is what inspired my outfit today. I also picked up this mint tank top ($5.95!) at H&M plus a neon pink one and immediately thought of doing a tone-on-tone post with my NYDJ faux jeans. Technically these Alisha ankle "jeans" are just twill cotton pants. But they look and fit like jeans, so jeans they are!


Have you ever been so obsessed that you have combed eBay for a certain item of clothing or shoes? I did that with these Juicy Couture rhinestone sandals. I searched for two years for these puppies! I finally found them a few years ago and sadly they are just not very comfortable. This was the first of many conquests on eBay. Recently, I finally got my J. Crew Eliza plaid shirt that I've been searching for for over a year. And I bumped up my bid so high that no one was gonna outbid me. Yeah, I'm a little competitive.

Oh, and if you saw this post a little early, it's because I clicked something on the keyboard equivalent to "publish" to which I exclaimed "oh sh*t, revert revert!"


{Jeans: NYDJ. Buy them here and here. | Tank: H&M. Similar here and here. | Sweater: Old Navy (old). Similar here. | Shoes: Juicy Couture (old). Similar here. Cute ones here. | Necklace: H&M | Lipstick: J. Crew Poppy King. Buy it here.}

Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. HI Niki, Great posts/theme week & comments about NE weather! Spot on. You are my first read of the day since it gets me out of my cranky wake up mode. Couple of items: JCrew poppy lipstick looks lovely on you, not so much on me. Whatcha do on application? I found it a bit dry. LE Canvas white jeans, were great on you, not so much on me (there's a theme here). Enjoy your writing style & pictures are illustrative & lighthearted... the chemistry is apparent between you & your husband! Have I said that before? Just love it. Unlike a few blogs I was following on Bloglovin & deleted this week because I began to find them so artificial & in my A.M. cranky mode annoying. Lacking the joie de vivre of your blog! Merci beaucoup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. De Rien, Carol! Parlez vous francais? Je parle un peu. J'ai etudie pour quatre ans. Unfortunately, the extent of my French is limited to just a few phrases. I'm very flattered and appreciative that my blog is your first read. And I agree that some blogs are quite superficial. My blog roll does change based on how my tastes change or if I feel that I can no longer get anything out of a person's blog. I hope mine doesn't become that way for people, but I will understand if it does. I think a big annoyance is the lack of connection big bloggers have with their audiences. I don't understand not responding to any comments. The only comments I really don't respond to are those just looking for me to follow their blog. As for all of my lipsticks, when I'm first applying my makeup, I put on a thick layer of Burt's Bees Lip Balm and let it sink in before I apply my lipstick. I'm not crazy about Poppy King in person but I've learned to appreciate that it comes off nice in pics. The white jeans are just Land's End, not LE Canvas. They are ankle cut, which could be the issue. You might want to get a pair in regular cut or boot cut if you are vertically challenged like me. :-) Hubby and I do have a great connection. We are best friends and are a match on wit and common interests. I think that's really important. We make each other laugh all the time. I don't think there's a night that goes by when we're not cracking each other up while watching TV in the living room surrounded by all our laptops, iphones, and tablets. We are technology junkies. We also love some of the same TV shows with quirky humor (NBC Thurs. shows, HBO's Girls, It's Always Sunny...), and we compete with each other every night watching Jeopardy. He always wins. That's my Mensa man!

      Delete
  2. I love this outfit! The sweater looks like it has a design on it and is almost sheer. Is that right, or am I seeing things? I'm on the hunt for very lightweight sweaters for summer.

    I agree with Carol about your blog. I am so glad that you are realistic about what you wear. I often think that the other bloggers cannot possibly be walking around all day in in those sky high stilettos and short, short skirts. You and Allie at Wardrobe Oxygen are my fashion heroes.

    I'm in Philly, and we had the rain that you're having now (or had yesterday). It's beautiful out here today so hopefully some of that sunshine will be coming your way. I know the weather people fuss about not getting enough rain, but I say bring on the drought. At least for a few weeks.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sweater has polka dots on it. Sorry we didn't capture that detail. I'll try to be more cognizant of that for future patterns. I agree. I can barely walk around in kitten heels all day at work let alone 4-5" high heels. And skirts that short - um, no. Pretty to look at but just not practical. But I get good inspiration from colors, patterns, and how to arrange different combinations of my own clothing from their blogs. Allie does it right at Wardrobe Oxygen! You are correct, today is beautiful and you'll see that in tomorrow's post. And my mood is much better today. I just need to live in the desert. LOL!

      Delete
  3. This one is my favorite of jeans week! It's a great casual, finished look and I love the monochrome. I liked seeing how the gray & white went together on Day 2 but it looked just a little bit unfinished, somehow. Thanks for sharing these! and thanks very much for the lipstick tip, in my current schedule I hardly ever wear it, but I am hoping to shift that habit for the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy! I appreciate your opinion on both outfits. It helps me take a step back and see what I can do better in other posts and what I'm doing right in this post. I would love to hear suggestions as to what you think I could have done differently in the gray and white outfit. Other jewelry? Different top? I think that top would look great against a black, leather pencil skirt. What do you think? And I'm going to probably wear it on the plane Saturday, so any feedback would be great!
      Niki

      Delete
  4. Despite the lousy weather, you look cheerful and springy. I love the tone on tone look; it looks great in this color. You look cute with your hair up! Glad you pushed yourself to post today; I look forward to your daily postings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you Lisa. You're much too kind (especially with my hair - lol!). But I'm glad this outfit is working for y'all. I thought it was a bit too casual for my tastes. I prefer a little more glam and uniqueness. ;-)
      Niki

      Delete
  5. Niki! You look fab! If you didn't have the small clips in your hair, I would have thought it was your hairstyle! And it looks great! I also think this outfit is great for dull and grey weather - yuk! The mint and coral combo is so pretty!

    xo, sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually looking for a small bobbi pin with crystals and realized - I don't actually own one! So these gaudy butterflies were the closest thing I had. :-( I typically wear my hair this way on the weekends and load it up with conditioner since I fry it with haircolor and bleach (not to mention the blow drying and flat ironing). I like to have a 'haircation' at least once a week.
      Niki

      Delete