Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

I'm Back...My New Ride

Just a word before I start rambling about my new car. Thank you for your kind words and support during this unexpected event with my full-time job as a technical writer. I received so many empathetic comments to the layoff situation this past Monday. I didn't see it coming. None of us did. We're being told that the company's revenue stream can now last years instead of weeks with the layoffs and reorg. I sure hope they are right.

Before the sh** hit the fan on Monday with the massive layoffs, hubby and I headed out this past Saturday in search for a BMW. I had one before (an X3) as a lease and just loved it. In fact, I turned it in and came home with my Saturn. As I said in my previous post, I was having a lot of problems with my Saturn Vue and felt it was time to wash my hands of it. Or so I thought it was time. Had I known about the work stuff, I probably would have held off on such a major purchase.

I couldn't keep anything on the floorboards in my Vue, including my floor mats, due to two prior floods from the front passenger side. Took it to three dealerships, had the car sealed all the way around to stop any further flooding (didn't work). I was just never happy with that vehicle. I've owned Volkswagens prior to that and I just prefer the handling and safety of a German car.

Our first stop led us to an Acura dealership where we saw a 2010 BMW 328ix Drive (or something like that). We were very turned off by the salesman and his "I've been in the business for 28 years, my father for 33. You're not gonna get a better deal than this one here" approach. Well, we did actually. We headed across the street to BMW North Haven where the pre-owned lot was swarming with people. I kid you not. It was so busy. Our salesman had to ask another salesman just for the keys to the car we were interested in because another woman had her eye on it, too! Seriously! Two people fighting over one car! Guess who won?

So basically we sat down with our salesman and the other woman and her friend sat down with her salesman in the office right next to us. It was a race to see who can enter the customer's information the fastest. At this point the woman was pulling out her credit card to hold the car. Hubby and I decided to let it go and see what else was on the lot. As we were roaming around, our salesman informed us that the car was available and gave us some figures on the car and our trade. We headed inside, talked numbers, and came to a final agreement.

In the end, the other woman backed out because she felt "pressured" and claimed hubby and I kept looking in her direction.  Seriously?! Oh well. It wasn't intentional and I'm sure that's not really the reason. Who cares?! Check out my sweet ride!!  A certified BMW 2008 328xi black beauty. How goth! Oh and the "xi" makes a big difference when you live where it snows. The "i" is rear wheel drive. The "xi" is all wheel drive. Just a little tidbit from a native Floridian who couldn't have cared less about that distinction before moving to Connecticut.


*Note - these aren't my own photos. I snatched them off the dealership's website.

Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. I love your blog and it is so fun that you posted pics of your new ride. Enjoy - As soon as I ditch my mini-van I plan to own a BMW myself - another 2 years to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You will love the BMW! And once you have one, it's hard to own anything else. They are just built incredibly well. The braking system surpasses anything I've ever driven.
      Niki

      Delete
  2. Hi Niki, Black Beauty BMW is magnificent and fierce...design, grill, wheel covers! The pics are great & almost went nuts looking at the dash. You are so right...nothing like German engineering. Have lots of fun and enjoy driving. Vroom, Vroom.
    All the best for a super weekend, you've really earned it after the events of this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niki, I'm really sorry about your work situation. :( I'm sure that your talent will land you another job soon (if that's what you want).

    Your new ride is awesome!! There is nothing like German engineering. I started with a VW beetle and now my hubby and I both drive German cars!

    xo, sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam. I still have my job. Just hoping it lasts while I look for something with a bit more certainty. I do love my new car, though. Now hubby and I both have BMWs. His is an older Z3 that he loves.
      Niki

      Delete
  4. I’m glad that you were able to get back on track after coming from a sad situation. And I guess the new car symbolizes a new start! I definitely agree with everyone here that the new ride looks awesome! The interiors are tidy, neat, and well-maintained. But what I like most about your new BMW is the sunroof! That’s definitely the car’s party piece!

    ReplyDelete