Pages

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Historic Day in Connecticut!

When I first moved to Connecticut four years ago, I lived in a rinky dink studio apartment as my boyfriend (now hubby) was still in our condo in Tampa looking for work up here. We were paying on the condo and now an apartment for me to be able to live and start working at the accounting software firm where I still continue to work (thank goodness).

One of the first things I did when I moved to Cromwell, CT was go to the local grocery store. I stocked up on a few items and then headed to the wine aisle. I circled the store, went down each aisle before finally asking a store employee where I could find wine. "You'll need to go to a package store for that." A what? I don't need a package. I don't need to mail a package. I just need a nice red. My reply, "What's a package store?" Turns out you can only buy beer in the grocery store, not alcohol or wine. Okay, this was new to me but I'll play. In Florida, you can buy beer and wine in the grocery store. You have to go to a liquor store (aka package store) for the hard stuff.

So I headed back toward the apartment and saw a "package store" on the way home. And it was closed. It closed at 8pm! WTF?! Are you kidding me? Not only do stores close between 8 and 9pm up here (it's their store, they can choose the closing time), but you also can't buy any alcohol on Sundays. Not only that but my hubby and I found out just how cruel this state's blue laws were when we tried to buy alcohol on Memorial Day and found the stores were closed on that holiday as well. So a beautiful weekend in late May when the weather was warm and we went through not one but two days sans anything cool and refreshing and yummy in our tummy (I like Smirnoff Ice on a hot day).

Well not anymore my friends. Our lovely Governor, Dannel P. Malloy, has been pushing to reform these outdated blue laws (Indiana is the last to uphold such laws) for years. I, like a lot of others up here, cross the border into NY and MA to buy liquor at better rates and on Sundays. My little trips to Wegmans in MA give me access to better prices and more options. Nutmegers (yes, that's what we are called in CT as we are the Nutmeg state) pay high taxes, high alcohol prices, and extremely high gas prices. Malloy is now giving us the freedom to purchase alcohol on Sundays during 10am - 5pm (hey, it's a start) and to stop the price gouging that package stores have been getting away with.

It's truly an historic day in Connecticut. Viva la vino!

Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Ah, blue laws are alive and well in NYS! Can't be alcohol before noon on sunday, can't buy wine/liquor except at a liquor store, and some towns are dry.

    Imagine my horror when we discovered that we bought a house in dry town...it's since gone 'wet' but the fight to get wine into grocery stores is still on.

    Coming from MI, I too was used to getting my booze wherever whenever (CVS anyone?) NYS has proved a bit annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kim i do remember buying wine in walgreens and cvs! And beer at gas stations. I truly mis Total Wine & More in Tampa. But there us one in Paramus, NJ that I go to from time to time.
      Niki

      Delete
  2. Not sure exactly what the blue laws are, but here in PA we also have liquor stores. In the past several years though, they've expanded their hours to include Sundays, and they stay open later each night. They are closed on holidays though because they are still run by the state. But they started a "Chairman's Selection" aisle where you can get really good wines at over 70% off their original prices. Or maybe that's a marketing ploy, but at least the wines are really good. That's all I buy anymore. There is always talk about privatizing the state stores, but since they've made these changes, they're not a bad deal anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My godmother lives in Canonsburg, PA and I make the 8 hour drive each 4th of July to visit her (and my sister and nephew come up from FL). I usually stop off in Mechanicsville on my way (cause there's a Wegman's and Chick-Fil-A there). Buying beer in the grocery store is a hassle because you can't carry out more than one 12pk. So I had to go to the car, drop one off, then go back into the store and get in line again for another 12pk. My sister and I tried to find a liquor store opened on Sunday last year in Canonsburg without any luck. Blue laws are a pain. I don't get them. Don't know why they are still around in some states. Hubby and I have learned to adapt and plan ahead.
      Niki

      Delete