Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

Final Texas Post

So I got back to Connecticut around 2am Thursday morning after a long delay in Baltimore. A longgggg delay. Switch gates, delayed times, switch gates. Ugh.  Miss Woozie (my dog) was happy to see mommy. And I'm getting stinkin' drunk as I write this so who knows what I'll wake up to regarding this post. Ahhhhh. Vino and vacation  - makes for a lovely vacation. And a roly poly tummy!

After I finished walking along the beautiful River Walk in San Antonio, I headed for the Alamo. Now I'm pretty good at directions, however, I never though the Alamo was in downtown San Antonio. In pics, I've always thought it was blowing in the wild west wind with tumbleweeds and miles away from civilization. Uh, no. It's a couple of blocks from the River Walk and in downtown. How strange. I was really shocked a Starbucks wasn't right next door.

I couldn't take any pics inside as it was heavily patrolled by important kids wearing uniforms making sure I don't snap a single photo with my snazzy camera or iPhone. There wasn't a lot to look at - a couple of rooms and a model of the Alamo and the grounds.

They did have little devices you could carry around and listen to the history of the Alamo, but I was on a  time crunch and needed to get back to Austin. So I went inside, checked it out, looked around the grounds and headed back to my car. Or so I thought. I started walking the wrong direction down St. Mary's Street in 100 degree heat. I guess my sense of direction has gone downhill since turning 40.  It was brutal! Once I turned myself around and found my car and blasted the A/C, I was on my way back to Austin.  So glad I visited the outlet mall before I went to San Antonio. I have seriously underestimated the power of the sun. The intensity is that of Florida and something I haven't endured for more than two or three days at a time visiting family in FL. When I lived in FL, I would have pretty bad pimples - you know the kind that appear under the surface of the skin and never rise to the top but are so painful and red. I got one of those while in Texas. My skin is perfectly clear in CT. But you know what? I think I'll trade clear skin for sunshine, heat, and family. I really feel like it's getting time for us to move and I don't see us here but for more than another year, if that. This means I'll have to curtail my clothes shopping and try to save for what we'll need to come to the table for the difference between what we sell and what we owe on the house + realtor fees. But we'll see how that goes. Hopefully I'll be able to see my nephew more than once every four to six months very soon.

I mostly spent Wednesday resting in the hotel and then traveling. I'm really glad to be home, I picked up hubby tonight as well. We had Carrabba's takeout (only one in the state of CT - an hour from my house) and are now chilling. Please excuse me if I take a long weekend and finish my vacation. I'm beat and just need some chill time. I'll be back next week with my regular pics with new clothing. I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday weekend!

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks much for the enjoyable commentary & pics this week! I must agree San Antonio looks pretty nice & this coming from a dyed in the wool New Englander. Welcome home & best wishes for a relaxing weekend...you've earned it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Carol. I know it's a fashion blog, but I like traveling and food as well so hopefully I didn't make it too boring this week. San Antonio was alive with friendly people and great food. I would go back in a heartbeat. The ride down I-35 felt like driving along the highways of Houston, or even New Jersey, where there is plenty to see on either side of the road (but without the weird NJ turnabouts). But coming back to typical rain and clouds sure did dampen our mood. Big difference going from 94 and sunny to 65 and cloudy/cool/rainy. Have a good weekend!
      Niki

      Delete