Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Butterflies

Since the layoffs, there are now only three women in the small accounting software firm I work for, including me. I've never been big on wearing sleeveless shirts or dresses to the office. I always have a cardigan or blazer on, even when I worked in Tampa. I just think that bare arms show a bit too much for the office environment. But when I got to the office today, both of the women were wearing sleeveless tops. I did get a little warm, especially when I walked down to the parking garage to get my Thirty-One party order from my coworker and transferred it to my car. So off came the jacket, but only for a bit. I felt too self conscious to leave it off for any period of time, although it is a very cute dress. It was also 40% off and is from NY&Co. I'd seen it online but wasn't going to pay full retail for it. I bought it before we went to Texas, along with some floral pants. I got the dress and pants for around $70. The dress is a size L. I also ordered a very similar dress from Vince Camuto as well that I'll show you in another post. The back tapering is a bit funky though so I'm gonna have to wear a blazer with it. I love it too much to return it.

I have a feeling once my mom reads this blog post, she'll be all over this dress. She loves butterflies.

I also found out today that our new salesman quit while I was gone. I could see it coming, however. This isn't a bragging thing, but I'm pretty good at reading people during interviews. Even though you don't get the real personality (usually) during an interview from either party, I can usually tell within the first 10-20 seconds if someone is the right fit for our company. I've been able to interview a few people here but didn't have the opportunity to interview our latest hire. However, upon meeting and talking with him, he was reserved and shy and didn't have much experience selling our type of products. Our COO spent many hours training him and in the end, he just got up and walked out (or so I've been told). Luckily we have the perfect fit in house. He's extroverted, works in Support, knows our product, and customers seem to like him (although I'm not a fan of someone who has bullsh** coursing through his/her veins). But he's right for the job. Turns out the COO has already spoken to him.

And since we only have 12 folks left in the office, we are moving. Down the street. At the end of July. We'll still be in Shelton, CT but will have better walking access to more restaurants (Ruby Tuesdays, Chili's, Longhorn). They are not sure about the existence of covered parking (essential in a rainy/snowy/windy climate) just yet. I sure hope we have a parking garage. And that's my ramblings for today.



{Dress: NY&Co. Buy it here. Similar here. | Shoes: Marc Fisher. Similar here and here. | Blazer: Thrifted | Lipstick: MAC Girl About Town. Buy it here.}


Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. LOVE that dress....it's beautiful! I think it looks great on you, especially with the jacket off.

    I'm not sure if I missed something...but I'm sensing a white dress theme this week.

    This dress is an absolute keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Well don't get too attached to the white dress theme. It's nasty out today so I went with dark separates for tomorrow's post. When it's sunny and warm, my color palette is lighter.
      Niki

      Delete
  2. Am just catching up on all of your posts over the last week. Thanks for the recap of San Antonio; it looks lovely. I love the outfits you've posted so far but I am DYING over the rust pants and the blouse/jacket combo you wore with them. I LOVE the whole outfit.

    Question: If you move back to Florida, will it be hard for you and your husband to get new jobs? How did you end up in CT in the first place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy! I've been searching for awhile now for rust colored pants. So glad I found them at the Talbots clearance outlet. So many possibilities for them.

      About Florida - I've been casually looking for technical writing jobs for awhile now. Most recruiters that call me about jobs see "Connecticut" and send me contract work for the tri-state area and PA. I kindly reply "I'm interested in relocating back to the Tampa Bay area at this time."

      We need to get our house ready to list and will probably be here another year. Husband works from home as an instructional designer/tech writer. He can move anywhere.

      How I ended up in CT? Well I could talk your ear off with that one: I wanted seasonal changes, wanted out of the heat and humidity, wanted a different way of life, always wanted to move up north, divorce, family drama, etc. all sparked the move. It was a good move for the hubby and I as it gave us a chance to just be with each other exclusively in a new place where neither of us had any past connections or drama. We are now settled, have a great life together, I've reconciled with family, I have a nephew that I'm missing out on, and we both realize that we are really warm weather people and prefer a laid back style as opposed to a fast-paced NY lifestyle. The dreary weather is getting to us, the lack of retail, restaurants, etc. that I was used to growing up is affecting me, and not having friends that I grew up with surrounding me is also prompting the shift back down south. I miss southern charm and realize that life doesn't need to be as hard as it is up north.
      Niki

      Delete
  3. Pretty dress, Niki! Lovely on you. Funny, re: your comment above~ I grew up on Long Island, later lived in the DC area and have now been living in FL (Jacksonville) for the last 2 years. My husband and I talk about we miss neither winter weather nor the "grayness" that permeates so many months of the year. It's been an adjustment getting used to FL, but I am liking it more and more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you, Kristen!! How is Jacksonville? I've never been. Never been to St. Augustine either. When the weather up here is good, it's a pleasure living here. I love the landscape of CT, I love all the different flowers in my garden that will burn up in the sun in FL, and fall leaves and pumpkin patches are great! But setting back the time in Nov and being in darkness at 4pm for 4.5 months is depressing. As is 3+ days of rain. I don't like slipping on ice and not having friends and family over for holidays. I miss Bahama Breeze, Chick-Fil-A, Bonefish Grill, Carrabbas, Macaroni Grill, fried chicken, bbq, southern hospitality, dining outside by the water, level surfaces, and modern housing. I don't like basements - I don't understand the purpose. I'd never seen a sump pump before I moved up here. I like not having love bugs, roaches, gators, and snakes. I miss lizards. And I have yet to see a frog up here.
      Niki

      Delete
  4. I'm pretty sure you are lying about your age - you look so young! Your skin is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I wish i were lying and thank you!! I'm 40. Born Jan 12, 1972 in Orlando, FL. Photoshop clone stamp takes care of chicken pox scars on forehead and smooths out a couple of wrinkles on the forehead and on nose between my eyebrows. I try not to do too much post production work as i want to show you the real me. But yes, if i have a pimple or scar, i smooth it out. I'll include an untouched photo in a future post, ok?
      Niki

      Delete