Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Striped Gap

I think every place you live has some element(s) you don't care for. In Florida, it was the awful heat and humidity eight months out of the year. One shouldn't have to run the a/c on Christmas day. In Connecticut, it's the hurricane force winds that are commonplace. They're wonderful in the summer when the wind is blowing off Long Island Sound near my house. But during colder months, that wind can make temps feel 20 degrees colder than the actual temperature.

Ever seen the movie Unfaithful? The scene where Diane Lane is blowing around in the wind with all the birthday balloons and packages. Yep, it really is like that up here. This is why the hubby waits until Memorial Day to put up our canopy in the backyard and promptly takes it off in October. The wind up here can be vicious. I've been through my share of hurricanes growing up. These are tropical depression winds up here.

And so it was today when we were taking pics. I had to find a place on the side of the house to block some of the crazy gale force winds. It's either that or cling for dear life to the tree branches in the backyard. Okay, it wasn't that bad, but it was very windy today.

I like the outfit I have on today and I modeled it after a look I saw about a month ago on Gap's website. The skirt and top are from that look. But I have to say that the top is the most cheap and ill constructed piece of crap that I think I own. I'm a sucker for hot pink (yes, I would wear my hot pink Nine West Andriana pumps every day if I could), but didn't read any of the reviews on Gap's website before purchasing this top. It is thin (I'm wearing a tank top underneath), has no give, and probably should have been labeled 'Striped Paper Bag Tee' instead of 'Striped Woven Tee.' Woven? By what? Wolverines? However, once I put on my jean jacket and pencil skirt, the look was passable.

I do, however, like the skirt. Very much! Just the right amount of spandex, the right thickness, and the hem is perfect. Too bad black is the only color this skirt comes in. It hugs my curves and fits like a dream. So comfortable.

And speaking of Nine West Andriana pumps. I now think I own every suede color they made. I found these on my last trip into NYC as I was making my way up to Bloomindales. I know I own quite a few pairs of these, but they truly are the most comfortable pumps I have ever owned.



{Blouse: Gap. Buy it here. | Skirt: Gap. Buy it here. | Jacket: Target (old) | Shoes: Nine West Andriana | Necklace: Ann Taylor | Lipstick: MAC Girl About Town}
Pin It!

21 comments:

  1. Great post! Loved the reference to "Unfaithful" & you captured yesterday's windy windy weather perfectly. You look great & love everything (even if the GAP top is not so good). Spot on mix, elegant & classic but with some edge. Lovely hair is ideal & finishing touch. BTW, appreciate your writing style since it isn't all about fashion. Nice way of incorporating everything. Makes for engaging posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Carol, thank you so much for your lovely comment. I'm touched!
      Niki

      Delete
    2. You are most welcome, Niki! My pleasure. Feels like we are having a dialogue (even when I can't comment, make sense?). Lastly, enjoyed the Union Jack post. Been having trouble with gmail & was unable to comment. Also like Union Jack items. Have been lusting after the Boden Union Jack weekender. All the best.

      Delete
    3. I think it's very important to converse with my followers. I try to acknowledge every comment. I know other bloggers who don't give their readers the time of day and that's just sad. I appreciate the positive comments and the constructive criticism as that just makes me a better blogger.
      I enjoy anything with the British flag on it. I have some news regarding England and I'll share it in another post. I'm not aware of the Boden weekender. I did a search but couldn't find it. Did find some other lovely Union Jack weekenders, though. And I will always lust after Alexander McQueen's Union Jack clutch.

      Delete
    4. You're so right and I know that's why I enjoy your blog.
      Re Boden USA, I misspoke, it is called the "Essential Weekend Holdall" on their Accessories page. There is also a cute "Beachcomber" bag with the Union Jack. But, the Alexander McQueen Union Jack clutch is the ultimate.
      Look forwarding to your news regarding England!

      Delete
    5. Thanks Carol, I'll check it out.
      Niki

      Delete
  2. nice denim jacket! I like the sleeves!

    Babi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's hard for me to find denim jackets that aren't boxy. I like how this one tapers and has gathered shoulder seams.
      Niki

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It's still available. It looks good, too bad it's so flimsy. I'm actually afraid to wash it and I don't know what I'll end up with. LOL!
      Niki

      Delete
  4. That's such a shame about the top because 1) it's pink and 2) it's stripes! :( It still looks great on you though.

    xo, sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree! It's a great looking top, too bad it's so thin. I'll continue to wear it since it is cute and versatile.
      Niki

      Delete
  5. LOL at your description of the Gap top. It looks pretty on you, though.

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the denim jacket with such a dressed up look, fun mix.

    xo erica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stripes! I've been trying to figure out what I could wear as a top w/my black pleated skirt w/o looking to "worky". Why didn't I think of stripes? And thanks for the pencil skirt recommendation...been looking for one for a while since my old one doesn't fit (pre-babies circa early 2000s...ummm, I wish!).

    --newest follower: Stephanie -- :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Stephanie! I love wearing stripes. You'd be surprised how many more outfit combinations you'll have when you add a few new striped tops to your closet. Get a black and white one as it will be most versatile.
      Niki

      Delete
    2. Yes, I love stripes too...just don't know why it never dawned on me to pair it w/pleats. :)

      Delete