Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Sparkles!

How adorable is this blazer?! I have been waiting months to get into it. As soon as I saw this little number by Alice + Olivia on www.yoox.com, I knew it had to be mine, especially since it was on major sale for $100, which is super cheap for anything by Alice + Olivia. It's a size L, which equates to about a size 10, but feels more like an 8.

At first I wasn't sure how to style it and tried a few combinations on my Closet app on my iPhone. With the weather warming up to almost 70 this weekend (whooo-hoooo!!), I just had to break it out of the closet. Since it's such an eye-catching piece, I knew I needed to keep the rest of my outfit simple. If you have a sequined blazer, it's best to er on the side of simplicity. Since I was wearing this blazer to work, I knew I needed to tone down everything else, which is why I paired it with jeans, a tee, and simple black pumps. I do have to say, however, that the collar is incredibly itchy. Those little sequins hurt! I kept pulling at my tee to protect my neck.

Originally I thought a plain gray tee would suffice. But then I remembered I had this J. Crew tissue tee in my drawer and thought the crown detailing and rhinestones would play off nicely with the sequins. And with the 3/4 length sleeves (a must for curvy gals - slimming effect since the wrists are typically the smallest part of the arms), I thought it was the perfect opportunity to break out one of my new Marc Jacobs rubber bracelets I got in NYC. And I just discovered two cute, functioning pockets up top, to which I can stuff baby squirrels.

And although hubby doesn't want me dressing up to go to a very small (and very casual) art exhibit Saturday night in Stratford, I think this might just be the perfect compromise for our evening out. Casual meets chic, don't you think?


{Blazer: Alice + Olivia | Jeans: Gap (old) | Tee: J. Crew (old) | Bracelet: Marc Jacobs. Buy it here. | Belt: old | Shoes: Nine West Andriana | Lips: MAC Lip Pencil in Burgundy (corners). NYX lip pencil in Hot Red. MAC Sheen Supreme Lipstick in Full Speed. | Nail polish: China Glaze Re-fresh Mint}
Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. I absolutely love it! That jacket is a treasure...although I don't think I personally would last too long wearing it with the itchy sequins. The tee is perfect with that top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love finding unique pieces to wear. I'm all about anything with bling on it or is hot pink. And yes, the sequins drove me nuts. I might see if I can add a piece of fabric to the inside to protect my neck. Death by sequins is not a good way to go. ;-)
      Niki

      Delete
  2. I too love this outfit. I think it's the perfect thing to wear to the art exhibit this weekend. I especially like your jeans and how you have your tee partially tucked. I am really struggling with to tuck or not to tuck. I have a little pooch, and I don't have the right low rise jeans to work with because I feel very self-conscious with a potential muffin top hanging out. It can be so maddening!

    But you look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! I used to never tuck in my shirts because of my stomach pooch. I can't ever remember a time in my life when I didn't have my pooch. Even when I was 98lbs in high school. If I'm wearing pencil skirts, I will tuck my shirt in only if I am wearing a blazer. That way only a small, front section is showing and I can balance (or hide) any problem areas with the blazer (i.e. muffin top).
      Niki

      Delete
  3. Love your blazer! It's so unique!!! I'm glad you got it for a bargain. Your entire outfit is chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just love the blazer (too bad it's painful to wear). ;-)
      Niki

      Delete
  4. It is indeed an adorable blazer & agree that it is a perfect combination of chic & casual for the art exhibit. Again, like yesterday just the right mix...well thought out. Nice point about the sleeve length. Lipstick & MJ bracelet really pop. And, well what can one say...pockets for the baby squirrels too. Yay! :) Well done all around. You look terrific! Hope you both have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! Yay - you got my little squirrel joke. Lol! Thanks for the nice comments.
      Niki

      Delete
  5. That blazer might be the coolest thing I've ever seen...it's amazing! I've never seen glitter used like this before!

    Mix and Match Fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I'm curious to see if this jacket could be a DIY project. I bet it could!
      Niki

      Delete
  6. Dar-ling! Nicely styled, too. Your hair looks good. Did you get it cut a little bit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Nope no change to the hair. I did touch up the roots last night though. And I'll be refreshing the blonde in the next couple of days.
      Niki

      Delete
  7. Love the blazer...girl + sequins = perfection.

    http://britspolkadotlife.blogspot.com/

    Britney

    ReplyDelete