Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

New York City - Part 3

For the past two Saturdays I've headed with hubby into NYC for some retail and food therapy. You can read about part 1 and part 2 here. Today I'll show you where I went, tomorrow I'll show you what I bought.

Unlike last weekend, which was sunny and warm, it was just downright dreary, rainy, and cold this weekend. And I find that 50% of my trips into NYC are on rainy days.

I didn't really have an agenda this time. I did have to return a pair of sandals at Zara and I wanted to check out the new Joe Fresh flagship store that just opened up on Friday. As you recall from reading last week's NYC posts, I was very disappointed with the Joe Fresh store on 34th Street and only ended up buying two blouses. I have to say I was completely blown away by the flagship store. What a beautiful store with two floors of very affordable ($29 dresses) clothes! The quality is not fantastic, but would rival H&M and Old Navy.

I overheard one of the cashiers saying the location is historic and they built around the fabulous metal sculpture behind the upstairs registers. The staff was plentiful but very in-your-face. You couldn't just look through sizing without an employee jutting in and offering to look for your size for you. It was a bit much in my opinion and very different from the staff on 34th Street.


Along my way over to Lexington and the Upper East Side, I took a few scenery pics.


After going to Zara on Lexington, I was getting a bit too hungry to go into Bloomingdale's and thought I would hit it up after grabbing a bite to eat. I remembered one of my followers, Renee, suggested I try the tea and scones at Alice's Tea Cup. I had a hard time finding it as it wasn't right on Lexington as I thought. But I spotted it when I backtracked toward Bloomingdale's. It was a quaint and cute little tea room. I was 15 minutes too late for their yummy looking brunch menu, so I ordered a ham and Gruyere sandwich and a lemon blueberry scone. I am extremely picky when it comes to scones. I have never been able to find any that taste like the ones at Victorian Grace in Brandon, FL. Their scones are a cross between a cake and a biscuit. They are light and airy and most scones I've tried since are dry, dense, and bland.

But I was pleasantly surprised with the scones at Alice's Tea Cup. First, they are huge! And second, they were very flavorful and came in a close second to the ones at Victorian Grace. They were cooked a bit more than I like, but still had the light airiness I like with scones. So good job, Renee! Thank you for the recommendation. Oh, and the clotted cream was delicious!! The sandwich was good but overloaded with too much Gruyere. I couldn't taste the ham. I also don't care for raisins and the bread was a raisin semolina. But the french fries were divine!


After my late lunch at Alice's Tea Cup, I made my way back toward Grand Central as I wanted to make it a quick trip into the city. And then I got sucked in. How adorable is this little fellow? How much is that doggie in the window, indeed?!


My last stop before hopping a cab to Grand Central was at Sprinkles. I've seen the cupcake mixes in Williams Sonoma but didn't buy them because A) $14 for one container! and B) I've had Magnolia Bakery cupcakes and didn't care for them at all. I am so glad I stopped in at Sprinkles. I bought a red velvet cupcake for me and a carrot cake cupcake for the hubby. They were so delicious and moist. The carrot cake cupcake had real chunks of carrots and nuts. Hubby and I were both singing their praises when we took a bite of each when we got home. I will definitely be buying the mixes.


I made sure to take my insulated backpack I got a few years ago at Chelsea Market, along with a couple of ice packs so that I could take home some yummy goodies from Grand Central Market. A market in the train station? Yep! There's all kinds of goodies in Grand Central, including a newly opened Vince Camuto store. I wouldn't mind putting these metallic cuties on my feet.



I ended up getting some artisan bread, the marinated shrimp above, and some cheese and fresh pasta from Murray's. I don't recommend the shrimp. It was tough and fishy tasting.

And no trip in to NYC is complete without cheesecake from Junior's. It is simply the best cheesecake I have ever had. They put a thin layer of what takes like vanilla or angel food cake on the bottom. The cheesecake is thick, creamy, and you can really taste the lemon and cream cheese. Sooo good! I bought two small, plain cheesecakes. When I got home, I cut each cheesecake into eight slices and froze most of it. It will be a yummy dessert for the next few weeks.


Check out tomorrow's post when I show you what I bought.

Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. Just found your blog and really enjoyed this post. I have only been to NYC once and it was long ago. I am going again in Dec, so I am going to take some of your recommendations. I love Sprinkles! Best cupcakes ever and I bought a mix once and the cupcakes turned out amazing, which I didn't expect. Fun post!
    Creamy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! If you come in Dec., I recommend a Central Park carriage ride, Rockefeller tree and skating rink, a stroll down 5th Ave as Saks puts up some great lights and decorations, Bryant Park (they have all the holiday vendors set up, ice skaking rink, and sometimes an ice carving). Although Bryant Park is beautiful any time of year. I also recommend tea at Russian Tea room - not really for the tea but for the experience. It's quite cold and crowded in Dec. so be prepared for the crowds.
      Niki

      Delete
  2. Niki!! LOVE this post! All your pics are wonderful, and your description of everything is fantastic! I love that pic of your reflection (and that pup is TOO CUTE)!

    xo, sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam! I must have took a dozen shots of that little guy. He was so playful and cute. I thought the reflection pic turned out pretty cool, too! I just love NYC. I would go in more often if my wallet permitted me to. LOL!
      Niki

      Delete
  3. cute!!!

    http://glamourgirl-bg.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love NYC!! =)

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only 60 miles from my house but I get excited every time I go. And my new camera is capturing such great memories.
      Niki

      Delete
  5. Still dying to go to NYC, these photos are amazing!

    http://www.hsquaredfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awesome! What I do is make a list of places I want to go if I read about it in a magazine or see it on TV. It took me about six visits before I started venturing out of the tourist areas and started exploring other areas. You gotta do the tourist stuff when you come, though. And I highly recommend a boat tour from one of the piers during warmer months.
      Niki

      Delete
  6. Hi Niki, I'm so glad you had a great day and made it Alice's. I was so excited to see a shout out to me :) I have a blogger friend from Austin coming into NYC on Thursday and plan to bring her there. Excited to see your new purchases!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for the recommendation. The scones were good. Even better heated up that evening when I shared the rest with hubby. I also put the rest of my sandwich on a different kind of bread that I bought at Grand Central. Took off some of the gruyere so I could taste the ham and it was yummy. So thanks again! Hubby and I are heading to Austin next month for a week. We've never been.
      Niki

      Delete