Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

A L'Orange Theme Week

Let's have a little fun with fashion this week, shall we? I haven't seen any other fashion bloggers do this, but I think it could be pretty cool. How about we do an orange theme week? I'll create some subtle and not so subtle combinations incorporating the color orange all week long. And if this goes well, I could extend it beyond color. For instance, pencil skirt week, stripe week, or neutrals week. And like a DJ on prom night, I take requests. Got something you want to see? Let me search the 'ol closet and come up with some things.

So why orange? Well, I saw some Orange Star flowers in my local Stop & Slop (yes, I know it's "Shop" but compared to Publix, I think S&S bites) this past weekend that I've never seen before. They weren't cheap, but they caught my eye as soon as I entered the store. It was warm today (70 degrees) and we opened up the entire house to let in some fresh air to swoop out the winter blues. 

Let's start with a little punch of orange in the Asos flower skirt below. I recently had about 4" removed from the bottom. I'm only 5'4", so when this skirt arrived, it was very overwhelming on my short frame. It hit about 2" above my ankles. Luckily, my new tailor was able to hem the skirt last Wednesday and I had it back the very next day. And she's cheap, too. $10 to hem items. I took my new, thrifted Michael Kors pants to her as well. And they have orange in them too!

I believe this skirt is meant to be worn as a high waisted skirt, but with my stomach pooch, it just wasn't working for me that way. It's also so versatile with colors that I could have emphasized the orange, the light blue, or gone all black up top, etc. I'm really happy with the cut and fit. It's a size 14 (UK 18), has some spandex, and a slit in the back so I'm not walking like Mariah Carey on awards night.



{Skirt: Asos. Buy it here. | Blazer: Zara | Tee: Hanes (Walmart) | Shoes: Nine West Andriana | Bracelet: Marc Jacobs. Buy it here. | Necklace: Thrifted | Lipstick: MAC Girl About Town}
Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. Ooo this floral is beautiful! Love that bracelet too! Been eyeing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anna! I have three of those bracelets in green, orange, and pink. I love them!
      Niki

      Delete
  2. Just catching up on all of your posts since Friday. I did not know what to expect with the Target dress the way you talked about it; then I got to the picture and it looks great! I tried a dress with a pair of leggings this past weekend. I was nervous I'd look old trying to look young, but I think I pulled it off okay. You really pulled the look off with that dress.

    Love the menswear look (and the shoes) as well.

    And I adore the outfit here. I am wearing something very similar but the skirt is from H& M. I don't know if you've seen it but the pants in the same print have been all over the fashion blogger world. And I just grabbed the skirt because I liked the fit. I was even kind of nervous about the floral print. Who knew? Anyway, it too has orange in it as well as royal blue, white, green, peach, etc. I'm wearing a royal blue tee with it and a black sweater (very lightweight cause it's going up to mid 80s today). I'm going to take the orange challenge and see what I can come up with. I've always loved orange but could never find enough to pair it with. I'm glad it's the color of the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. I wasn't too crazy about the Target dress look. But I'll revive it a bit better in another look. I love the look of leggings. I just don't think they go out of style.
      I've seen the H&M skirt you speak of. Even tried it on. It's very cute but it just didn't fit right for me. Sounds like you have a great combo with it!
      Niki

      Delete
  3. Love the idea for a theme week. It sounds like something my blogging partner Becky and I do at our blog, www.fashionoclast.com, where everything week we do a Frivolous Friday Fashion challenge. This week's is bling. http://www.fashionoclast.com/2012/04/frivolous-fridays-pastels.html

    In any case, it's a great idea to set out a theme. Paradoxical as it may seem, restrictions can really encourage creativity. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with orange - it's a tricky colour, sometimes, but I have the impression you're going to rock it. You already do with that skirt...what a cheery, eye-catching pattern!

    Also, congrats on your writing gig at The Impossible Girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had to make sure I had enough orange in the wardrobe before I set out on this quest. Turns out I have more orange than I know what to do with. That's great that you do a Friday Fashion challenge. How fun!
      Niki

      Delete
  4. love the colors and prints here!!

    -jessica
    http://runninginsideus.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look amazing. Love the skirt and the pops of pink!
    Creamy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily! If you like pink, I have a whole lot of it going on tomorrow.
      Niki

      Delete
  6. I love the ASOS skirt - they really have the best things! But sometimes, it's so overwhelming! And YAY for great tailors! That length is great on you!

    xo, sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they're having a big sale now. Just bumped up the discount to 70% off on a lot of items. I'm waiting for a couple of tops to arrive.
      Niki

      Delete
  7. Love this skirt-I've had my eye on it on the Asos site. Great look- and cheers for great tailors!

    ~Kristen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grab it! It's a fantastic skirt.
      Niki

      Delete