Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

A L'Orange - FIN!

So I hoped you enjoyed a l'orange theme week. I probably have 2-3 more weeks worth of orange in my clothing arsinal. However, I'll wear those outfits sparingly. I'm already thinking of my next theme week, which I'll try to do sometime in May. A lot of you seemed to like the conservative orange striped dress I wore in this post rather than the wild out-there hi-lo tank from this post. So I'll keep that in mind when I do May's theme week.

My tastes are all over the place when it comes to fashion. I don't think that's a bad thing. Some things will be instant hits and others won't. I think that's a part of fashion blogging. Also seeing things in the mirror vs. seeing them in pictures makes you realize what really works and what needs to be returned, recycled, or maybe just rethought. There are times when I think age is just a number. I don't feel 40. Far from it, actually. But I have to respect the changes my body has gone through over time and dress to flatter the body I'm in now. In 10 years, I'm sure there will be things that I wore in my 40s that I can no longer pull of in my 50s. It doesn't mean I won't stop trying to get away with more youthful items. Sometimes they'll work and other times, they won't. We all have to wear clothing (unless you belong to a nudist camp). Hopefully, this blog shows you what works and what doesn't and you can take inspiration from it and incorporate a bit of it into your own wardrobes.

Have a great weekend!


{Shirt: Old Navy (recent) | Shorts: Old Navy. Buy them here. Cute distressed version here. | Hat: Urban Outfitters. Buy it here. | Shoes: Keds (old)}


Pin It!

18 comments:

  1. Niki, Love the pics (adorable) & your post! You captured it perfectly. Thank you. Best wishes for a relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. I clicked through to your blog from 40plusstyle.com and looked at your photos from this week. I have to say that a lot of what you wrote made me laugh. I recognised a lot of my behaviour. You strike me as a fun person, confident, strong and lots of laughs. And with no fear of trying something new. Especially your striped dress with the black top and yellow cardigan looks super. Also the pink dress with the orange shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! And thank you! One of the great qualilities of my husband and I is that we crack each other up all the time. I think humor is a huge asset to have and I'm glad you appreciate mine. I'm also brutally honest with people. I tell it like it is. No sugar coating. Some people like that and some don't. Thanks for reading my posts and I hope you continue to come back.
      Niki

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Clara. This was just a little fun Saturday outfit.
      Niki

      Delete
  4. For a long, long time, I used to get frustrated with myself because I didn't have a "style." I wanted to be classic (Ann Taylor, twin sets, pearls) but then I wanted to be trendy and funky too. I thought there was something wrong with me. Then I discovered style blogs and my whole world changed. All of the style bloggers wear different styles each day and that gave me the confidence to feel like my lack of style was actually my style. All this to say great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. Thanks, Kathy! I know how you feel. I've always wanted to look preppy/Hamptons/classic chic with long, flowing straight hair. Well the hair I can do with a flat iron. The blonde I can achieve with bleach. But I will never be a size 2 or 4, my chest is too large to pull off Ralph Lauren polos, and I'm too short and curvy to fit the Tommy Hilfiger all-American mold. However, I can work with what I have, be thankful for all my limbs, eyesight, health, etc. and just enjoy the vast amount of clothing options out there. I don't have to fit one particular mold. I can try to fit all of them depending on my mood! :-) Thanks for your comment!
      Niki

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I can't seem to figure out how to post on your blog, but I'm following you now! Love this shirt, and love your blog!! <3

      Sarah
      sarahsavvystyle.blogspot.com

      Delete
    2. Welcome Sarah! Glad to have you following me. I appreciate it!!!
      Niki

      Delete
  6. Niki!! These are the cutest pics!! LOVE them!! You look so happy!

    I hear you about style - mine is all over the place too! I call myself a "style gypsy" bc I can't narrow it down to anything! But that does make it fun for blogging! :)

    xo, sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam. I am generally a happy/jokey person. I'm kind of a cross between Gilly on Saturday Night Live, Zooey Deschanel (although her quirkiness can be a bit overkill), Elaine on Seinfeld, and Betty Boop (my husband says my laugh sounds like hers). Basically I'm just a goofball!
      I think having an open mind to fashion doesn't piegon hole a blogger into one particular typecast, ya know? I could easily be a pencil skirt person every day. But I like trying new things. Some good, some not so good.
      Niki

      Delete
  7. YAY! don't you just love this shirt??? i also got the cream & neon yellow stripes but this one is my fave! love it with the jean shorts too.

    xoxo, jenn
    the stylish housewife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the shirt is great and I need to wear it more often. It goes with so much! Thanks for your comment.
      Niki

      Delete