Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Dress Week

So in my last post I said I would do another theme week sometime in May. Well I got to playing around in my closet on Saturday and trying on a few previously too-tight dresses that seem to miraculously fit with some new shape wear. I feel like that's cheating in a way. Just like needing to hoist the girls up, I know it's also necessary to smooth out the lumps and bumps. So why do I feel like it's cheating? Because to fit in some of these dresses, another 3-5 lbs is what I need to drop. But now the shape wear is doing it for me. It's like not having to do the work to drop the weight. Poof! Belly be gone. Poof! Thighs be slimmer. Poof! You're a pimp (sorry... a little SATC humor).

I have two closets upstairs. Tiny miney moe closets. One of which holds smaller clothes I try on from time to time to see if I've dropped enough weight to fit into certain dresses or pants. I've done this since the beginning of my weight loss journey almost one year ago. It keeps me motivated. J. Crew doesn't make those cute patterned pants in sizes larger than a 14. And when you're curvy with a poochy tummy, it takes work to make them fit. Part of me wants to buy Spanx Power Panties just so I can get to the finish line faster. My honest angel self says to do the work and put down that glazed croissant donut I allow myself to have once a month. But they're sooo good! Put it down! But it's calling me. It practically fell into my cart begging me to take it home. Put it down. But...there's Spanx that fixes all!

But I digress. So why another theme week so soon? Uhhh, cause I'm the boss of this domain and I do what I want. Yes, I'm kidding. I actually enjoyed a l'orange theme week and frankly just started picking stuff on Saturday that all happened to be dresses. So to kick things off...

I bring you dress #1. I ordered this Gap dress months ago when it went on sale. I ordered it in my usual size 14. Gap clothes seem to run a bit big in my opinion, just like Old Navy does. And while the top fit fine (almost too big now), the bottom wasn't happening. But with the shape wear (I prefer slips to bike shorts cause I want to let things breathe if you know what I mean), the dress now fits. It's a tad short for my comfort level, but hubby says it works.

And why the indoor shots you ask? Mother Nature. Rain, rain, rain forces fashion bloggers indoors where you struggle with light and filters and lenses. So this is my basement (the picture hides the electrical box - pretty classy, eh?). Maybe tomorrow I'll show you my living room if the rain stays around, which it looks like it might.


{Dress: Gap | Jacket: Karl Lagerfeld for Macy's | Shoes: Nine West. Other colors here. | Necklace: Old Navy | Lipstick: MAC Rebel. Buy it here.}
Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. I'm liking this weekly theme trend!

    This outfit is great.....and if you use the shape wear..it's not cheating...it's working what you've got.

    I'm inspired by your posts to try some jackets....got several of them over the last few weeks and can't wait to try them out.

    Thanks for the inspiration. You are my number one, favorite blogger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. That's so sweet, Lisa! Thank you! Blazers and jackets are my fashion security blankets. The right cut can slim arms, accentuate curves, and create length.
      Niki

      Delete
  2. Very cute, you look smaller than a size 14, gorgeous! Would love you to check out my blog: http://magpiestyle.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracey. Nope. I'm absolutely a size 14 in that dress. In tomorrow's post I'm wearing a size 12 dress (but just barely). LOL! My top half is smaller than the bottom half. My hips and tummy stand in the way of wearing smaller clothes on the bottom, unfortunately. But thank you! That made my day!
      Niki
      P.S. - I looked at your site before and it's very cute. Spent quite a bit of time on it recently. :-)

      Delete
  3. LOVE this dress! The color is so rich. Is it sleeveless? Also, I don't think it looks too short and as long as you're comfortable in it...

    I have some shapewear and will use it occasionally; however, since I wear tights in the winter, that acts as my shapewear. I don't have any spanx because I'm afraid it will be too tight and restricting. I'm wading gently into the shapewear pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it's sleeveless, hence the jacket. With the slip shape wear, it doesn't feel tight or constricting. But I feel that way in boy shorts or other shape wear that act as bike shorts. And you're right. Tights give the same effect in the winter. However, I find they also tend to make certain fabrics clingy, whereas shape wear doesn't. Give a slip a try and see how you like it. I got mine at TJ Maxx.
      Niki

      Delete
    2. No, sorry. It was a Macy's clearance slip.

      Delete
  4. That is such a good outfit. What is the print on the shoes? Is it just random blups in the grey squares?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, they are pony hair pumps with gray squares and dark brown blobs. The blobs remind me of a brush style you can choose in Photoshop.
      Niki

      Delete
  5. LOVE this!! That dress is gorgeous! And I don't remember that KL jacket but now I'm sad that I missed it! YAY for dress week! I love dresses and they are my go-to wear for almost anything!

    xo, sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember KL at Macy's period. That jacket was a happy wandering eye in the more conservative Charter Club section of the store. Wasn't even supposed to be there. I love how it's kind of modern 80s with those shoulders.
      Niki

      Delete