Pages

Friday, March 30, 2012

Tropical

I have to give props to the peeps across the pond. They really know how to create unique clothing that is cut generously to fit my curves. I'm loving this River Island skirt I got through asos.com. I'm seeing all kinds of summer possibilities with it (blue cardigan, white tee, and white heels). I don't, however, like England's sizing as a US 14 is a UK 18. Yikes! Makes me feel like I'm back to where I used to be. Luckily asos.com has a US website in which all the sizes are shown in US standard sizing. I've bought a few River Island items from asos, but never from the River Island site because they charge a pretty hefty shipping fee, whereas asos does not (free shipping!). And every item of clothing (and accessories) I bought from asos I have kept. However, I will never buy their brand of shoes ever again. Cheap, flimsy, and they run huge!

I've had this JC Penney faux leather jacket hanging in my closet for the last month or so. It's such an odd shade of toffee brown that it isn't really pairing up as well as I had hoped. Good thing I only paid $40 for it in store. It's completely sold out online. Sorry, ladies. But I found a slew of them in the store.

I'm heading back into the city tomorrow. And this time I don't have a set agenda. I was thinking this might be more of a food trip, rather than a clothing shopping trip. But you never know. I might come home with an armload of stuff. J. Crew on Madison is calling my name. Seriously, I hear it. "Niki, come buy the new polka dot dress..." Actually, I might be on the lookout for a pair of brown pumps as I don't own any. Nude pumps were my only "brown" choice for today's outfit.

I do plan on carrying an insulated backpack I bought in Chelsea awhile back so that I can take home some cold items (Junior's cheesecake!). I'm also not staying the full day while husband is in class. I wore myself out last time, which is why I think I'm taking it easy on my planning this trip. But I will have pictures for you on Monday. And look for my post tomorrow on what I'm wearing into the city.


{Jacket: JC Penney | Tee: J. Crew (Warm Henna). Buy it here. | Skirt: River Island. Buy it here. | Belt: Lands End Canvas | Shoes: Nine West Sharina. Buy them here. | Necklace: Ebay | Lipstick: Nars Heat Wave. Buy it here.}
Pin It!

19 comments:

  1. Love this outfit- so pretty on you, You mentioned the skirt is cut generously- do you tthink it runs a size arge? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No, not a full size larger. What I meant is that unlike some skirts I buy at places like Anthropologie where I have very little wiggle room, asos clothing fits very comfortably. This skirt above is a US size 14 and I don't feel squeezed anywhere. I normally buy a size 14 in skirts but some from jcrew, etc fit tight where you get that little pocket bunching in the pelvic region, where I feel like I'm exposing my you-know-what. I don't have that problem with asos skirts. Does that make sense?
      Niki

      Delete
  2. I love this. You look so classy. One of my favorite looks I've seen on all the fashion blogs I stalk.

    So with ASOS, if I'm a typical size 8, I order the "US size 8" it has listed on the site, correct? It's adjusted for typical US sizes on the site, but what shows up will have a UK size on the tag. Am I understanding this correctly? Thanks in advance.
    -Andi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You are correct. I use the US site and change to US currency. I ordered a size US 14 but the skirt's tag is "18." I also ordered a size "L" blouse recently where asos translated it into a US10 and it fit perfectly (I'm between a 10 and 12 up top. I've never had to return any clothing item to asos as everything has fit so far.
      Niki

      Delete
    2. Thanks for responding! Last question: How bad is the shipping time?
      -Andi

      Delete
    3. 2 weeks. They have lost 2 items but send replacements within 4 days free of charge. Their tracking system is ridiculous. You can pay for express shipping ($12) which will get there within 3-4 days.
      Niki

      Delete
  3. This whole outfit is fabulous, and that skirt is awesome! I am a big fan of light blue and brown, and I love the orange throughout. A winner indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! I felt quite comfortable all day in this outfit. I love outfits like this. It's matchy but simple and requires no effort to think about styling.
      Niki

      Delete
  4. This is such a pretty skirt, Niki! It's tropical meets scarf-inspired print. Greetings from Atlanta. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary Ann! Didn't even think about the scarf print trend in this skirt. It just looks like pineapples to me. ;-)
      Niki

      Delete
  5. Hey Niki,

    Love your blog! So great to find a fashion blogger for 40-plus gals! :) I loved this outfit so much I followed the link and purchased the skirt. It is just beautiful IRL but I had a different experience you did regarding the fit. I am generally a size 8 in the brands I usually like to wear (AT, Loft, Boden, Talbots) and sometimes a 6 depending on the style. I found the 8 in this skirt to be cut super small/slim~ so small I can't even justify keeping it in the sense of "ok, it's a bit snug now but will be fine if I drop a couple of pounds" rationale. The size 10 is sold out- hoping for a replen. :) Do you know any other retailer who sells this skirt? I hadn't seen the brand before your post. Thanks! ~Kristen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry you had a bad experience. If it's sold out on asos, you can try www.riverisland.com. They ship internationally but they do charge. Another option is to buy a larger size and have it taken in. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
      Niki

      Delete
  6. Thanks. It wasn't a bad experience- the skirt was lovely and they shipped quickly, etc. Sizing is just one of the risks when trying a new brand online. I should have ordered it in a few sizes to try it out. All of the larger sizes are sold out- I'll try the River Island site. Thanks so much!

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asos has some other cute River Island skirts as well if you can find a replacement. I only go through asos because of the free shipping. Best of luck!
      Niki

      Delete
    2. Kristen, River Island is having free shipping today and tomorrow. And their sizes are listed in UK, not US. I'm an 18 in UK shirts as a reference.
      Niki

      Delete
  7. Hello from Canada!

    What a gorgeous outfit! I stumbled onto your blog via Girl with Curves. I too and newly 40 and on the curvier side trying to get healthier. I look forward to your postings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello there my northern neighbor! So glad you found my blog. Been thinking of doing a post on my daily food intake, etc. Would that interest you? I try to keep my calorie count below 1600 every day. Try to walk a couple times/week, too.
      Niki

      Delete
  8. This outfit is so cute. I love the colors. Warm and bold. They're so me, ;)

    ReplyDelete