Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Penguin Fail

Good thing I got this blouse for free cause after seeing it in pictures, it's a total fail on my body type. And it's such a shame because I really love this Charlotte Taylor blouse from Anthropologie. I'm starting to think you have be a stick to look good in Anthropolgie's clothes.

I was bedazzled by the gold penguins and peplum flounce. However when I got to work, I was explaining peplum to my coworker and she said, "empire waist"? OMG! She's right. How did I miss the empire structure of this blouse? No wonder my boobs look gynormous in it!

But I can't feel too bad since all I paid was $10 for the shipping. I got it the day after Christmas when Anthropologie was having their extra 50% off all clearance. So it was marked down to $50 after the discount and I had a $50 gift card from a register ring-up boo boo on their part.

I've been waiting until warmer weather to wear this blouse. Maybe it can still be salvaged with a sweater or blazer. Or it might just end up on ebay in the next few weeks. So sad.

So why am I even sharing this post with y'all? Because I want you to see that I make fashion mistakes. Sometimes what I think looks great on my body, just doesn't flatter at all. I don't want this blog to be about only capturing the good. I want to show others with a similar body type to mine how different fabrics drape so that you can make smart choices when it comes to shopping. Let me be your guinea pig (or penguin) so that you can see what works and doesn't on a 40-year old curvy gal.


{Blouse: Charlotte Taylor for Anthropologie | Pants: Target (old) | Shoes: Aldo. Buy them here. | Lipstick: Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics in Pretty Boy. Buy it here.}
Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. I just found you sight and love it - thanks for posting a not so great outfit. We all do it. My vote is for sell it on e-bay you have a lot of other outfits that rock your curves much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your feedback. Even at 40, i'm still learning what works for my shape.
      Niki

      Delete
  2. Niki, Thanks for the great well written & honest post! The Penguins are adorable & understand why you purchased. I love Anthro's whimsy but more often than not it just does not work on me. Bought the cute birdhouse skirt @Christmas & some days it works but not as envisioned. Most often end up buying their accessories which pack some wow. At least Anthro's esthetic worked really well when we were decorating our house so I get satisfaction shopping that way onsite & at the mall.
    Looking forward to your post re NYC. Well done on wardrobe coordination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Just wanted to show the not so great items as well. Can't be a hit everyday. :-)
      Niki

      Delete
  3. Niki; I see what you mean; BUT, have you considered having a seamstress alter it? The print is adorable. I think if you cut it like a tank top; get rid of the sleeves and make the neckline deeper, it could be really cute. I don't know how to explain this; but there is too much fabric from the collar to right under your breasts, and so that area looks larger. If you cut it like a tank, it might look really cute alone and under a jacket or cardi. Just a thought, if you love the print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion Lisa. I'm not sure I want to invest a lot of money in alterations as I'm sure other cute option are out there. However I appreciate your creative suggestion. I'm not totally done with the blouse. I definitely need to invest in a better bra for all my outfits. I may try the cheaper cardigan route before I totally give up.
      Niki

      Delete
  4. I think it's cute...honestly...(as a former Nordstrom bra fitter) I think you need a better bra and it would look cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, you are absolutely right. I'm stil wearing the same bras from when I was heavier. I need to make it a point to go for a fitting.
      Niki

      Delete
    2. That's exactly what I was going to say. The right bra will put the girls in the right place and change the look of the top. Don't give up on it yet. I like the way the colors pop on you.

      Delete
    3. That was my first thought too. It is SO important to wear the right undergarments. I work with a few ladies who need better foundation items and I just want to tell them to hoist those puppies up! Anyway, I do like the top; I think the colors and print are great.

      Delete
    4. I don't have a Nordtrom near me but do have a Lord & Taylor so I'm heading over there at lunch today. I don't like going to Victoria Secret cause they cater to smaller busted women.
      Niki

      Delete
  5. A good bra solves many issues!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think this is a fail. I love the top and think the colors are really flattering on you. I agree with pps- it may be the bra. What happened to this top? Do you still have it?

    ~Kristen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I still have it. And 7 new bras in the right size. :-)
      Niki

      Delete