Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Marni for H&M

I was on the fence about taking the Metro North into NYC for the new Marni for H&M collection. My husband was even encouraging me to take the day off of work and go for it. (I love him!). But all that kept going through my head after getting there was standing in a huge line in the cold with no one to hold my spot while I find a bathroom, and then finally getting inside after hours of waiting and having all the shelves cleared.


I've stood in freezing temps for Jon Stewart, Rachael Ray, and Steven Colbert. I've stood in line for hours with my sister in 90 degree temps for $10 Cure tickets. I just don't want to stand in line anymore! And how can H&M not have a US ecommerce site?


So I decided to comb ebay during launch day. I knew pieces would be jacked up with triple the retail price, just like Missoni and Jason Wu for Target. Luckily with perseverance, I was able to score those pieces online for their retail amounts.


One of the pieces I wanted was this white, paillettes collar (you know I love pailletes!). Retail price is was $19.99. Ebayers are, of course, triple and quadrupling the price of this piece. Instead of waiting out an auction, I decided to go for one that was priced at $63 + free shipping. There were cheaper options but once you added in shipping, they came out to $60+ anyway. Why count down a bid for an extra $3?


So how do I justify this purchase (cause there always needs to be justification)? Well the train ride in and out of the city would have cost me $25. The retail price of the collar was $20. If I'm paid by the hour for standing in line - well you just can't put a price on that! Okay, a gazzion dollars. And of course I'd have to eat in the city, probably take a taxi, visit Zara, window shop on 5th Ave, go into SoHo for more window shopping, and spend more money...


$63 is a bargain! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Went shopping at H&M last week but looked on the website first to see what I might want. I saw a Marni blouse that I loved but was upset when I couldn't find it in the store. I didn't realize till Monday that it wouldn't be in stores till this week, and then only in NY! I'm not close enough to NY to justify a trip there for a blouse, but I sure wish I could have gotten my hands on it. Anyway, I look forward to seeing how you wear this collar. It's really cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, actually I'm glad I asked my local H&M store as I was under the impression I could just stroll on in and grab what I had on my list. I'm already planning the outfit. I'm thinking a black and white combo with a touch of pink. :-)
      Niki

      Delete
  2. Hello,

    I'm new to your blog...it's great. I'm a bit of a style blog addict. The red jeans are cute...and if the picture is a post cut picture, I think it looks better than you think it does. I totally understand though, I hate when the stylist thinks they know what you want more than you do!

    ReplyDelete