Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Chopped!

I decided to try a new salon near work last night for a "trim." I told the stylist that I only wanted .5" taken off the length and off the layers. Instead, I got a choppy, lifeless bob 2" shorter than I asked for. You see, this is why I started taking matters into my own hands and doing my own root color and highlights. You sit in the chair thinking you and the stylist have an 'understanding' when really she's just gonna do what she wants. I even told her, "I'm growing out my hair and want to keep growing it. I just want a trim. No more than 1/2". 

My last stylist had platinum blonde hair. Several times I asked for platinum blonde highlights. What I kept ending up with were dull, caramel/orangy highlights. So I studied and read and watched YouTube videos on foil highlights. I ended up with some overlapping in the front and a bit in the back so I'm nurturing those areas back to health. But I finally have the color I want. It's funny because the stylist last night asked me who does my color. When I said, "I do," she gave me a look (as expected) and then said, "well if you ever want me to dabble with your color, I can." Dabble?! I've seen your "dabbling" on my cut, do you really think I'm gonna let you near my hair with chemicals? Sorry, sweetie. That's a big, fat "NO."

Okay, I'm done ranting. C'est la vie.  This past weekend I was at Old Navy just browsing and I came across these red Rockstar jeans in the clearance section. They were missing their price tag. When I brought them up to the register, the sales clerk informed me they were $8.99! Uh, yes please. The original look I was going for is this look I found on the Internet while doing a search for red jeans. I decided to create a stir again with my coworkers and boss with another fur vest. Husband and I had a good laugh this morning at my deliberate jab.



{Vest: Delia's. Buy it here. | Jeans: Old Navy Rockstar. Similar here. | Tee: Gap Favorite. Buy it here. | Cardigan: J. Crew Jackie. Buy it here in other colors. | Belt: Bought in Italy 10 years ago | Shoes: Nine West. Buy them here. | Watch: Guess. Buy it here. | Lipstick: Nars Dragon Girl. Buy it here.}
Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. You look great. Love the fur vest.

    I say this in a whisper, just in case Murphy hears ... the gal who has been cutting my hair since last year has done such a stunning job - I just hope it lasts. She's thorough and we seem to speak the same lingo ... why is it so difficult to find a good stylist?

    Hope you're having a stunning week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Wendy. I had a great stylist in Tampa. Didn't take short cuts like a lot of them do (add the foils then add root color instead of taking the time to do each process separately). I've tried 4 different salons in 4 years.
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that vest!

    http://www.hsquaredfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look amazing :)

    Stop by sometime, Natalie xo
    http://lavagabonddame.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome deal on the pants. They're a great shade. Yay you for diy hair. I'm a huge believer in it. It seems when I let someone else do it, they end up having a bad day once in awhile. Not fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those pants. I own a pair in black but read that a lot of people have the same problem with them - they have a chemical smell you can't wash out. These pair are thicker than the black ones and fit better.
      I'm of the mindset that you don't necessarily have to go to beauty school to understand color. My mom used to do hair when I was little and when she saw my hair in Jan. and I explained what I did, she said it's what they teach in beauty school. It can be trial and error at the beginning, but I keep reading and studying.

      Delete