Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Batter Up!

I thought this was going to be an easy outfit. I originally ordered this J. Crew Factory skirt and this royal blue dots top thinking I'd just throw a jacket over it and call it a day. I'm returning the tee as it's formless, not as blue as pictured online, and just blah. But the skirt, now that one I love!

Ever look in your closet and think, 'I have clothes but nothing is coming together'? It's like writer's block or fashion block. I was having one of those moments last night. I thought about pairing the skirt with navy blue stripes and this bomber jacket but it really didn't look good. The skirt has no 'hint of stretch' as advertised, unlike my other pencil skirts. So it is very form fitting and thus, I have the stomach pooch dilemma. So I knew I needed a blouse to mask the pooch. I tried on denim, structured blouses, different jackets. And then I thought, 'why are you making this so hard, Niki?' You don't have to throw another crazy pattern on top or go with an off-the-wall color. It's okay to match and look polished rather than inventing a new trend or following current ones. My orange J. Crew Factory tee kept staring at me so I relented and somehow pulled it all together. Because the Urban Outfitters jacket is rugged, I didn't want to soften the look with a necklace, but rather let the skirt stand on its own. The other thing I needed to keep from happening is pairing the wrong blue with this skirt and looking like a Florida Gator (I went to USF after pharmacy school plans fell through).

I also received my third pair of Nine West Andrianas last night. The other two pairs fit fine. But the right heel of this blue pair is slipping. So I'm gonna have to go to BB3 (that's Bed, Bath, and Beyond) for some no slip heel inserts.

Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Love the skirt and shirt. Orange is a favorite of mine. I am wearing a floral skirt today that I could have paired with a striped top, but I'm just not brave enough to go there. I wanted to and I've tried, but I just don't feel comfortable. So to do a little bit of pattern play, I'll add a patterned scarf and wear patterned shoes. When I was a kid, I laughed (to myself, not out loud) at the little old lady next door who wore stripes and polka dots. So mixing patterns is just something that goes against my grain.

    Anyway, great outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's because I'm older and like you said mixing patterns was a little old lady thing, that I'm not able to fully embrace it. I was trying to do that by purchasing that royal blue dot tee from J. Crew with this skirt. It's too bad the top was a disappointment. I think I'm more drawn to mixing textures, rather than patterns.
      Niki

      Delete
  2. You look Fantastic! I'm excited to follow your journey!

    Follower #11

    Http://Bwellputtogether.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I really appreciate it!
      Niki

      Delete