Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

My Trip to Wegmans

I love gourmet grocery stores. My favorite is The Fresh Market. I had to wait a year after moving up to Connecticut for one to arrive. And although it's 24 miles away, it's so worth a weekend trip to stock up on the most delicious steaks, other cuts of meat, and fresh fruit and veggies (it's the only place I can find Meyer Lemons).

I also was very spoiled in Florida where there was a Publix on just about every corner. As soon as you walk into a Publix, you can smell the bakery department. The stores are always clean, well lit, and well stocked. The cashiers are warm and friendly and it just makes for a nice grocery shopping trip.

However, both Publix and The Fresh Market take a back seat to the best grocery mecca I have ever been to. I believe I first discovered Wegmans while stopping in Mechanicsville, PA on my way to visit family outside of Pittsburgh. I only stopped in Mechanicsville because I needed my Chick-Fil-A fix. The nearest Chick-Fil-A is in Paramus, NJ (1.5 hours away). When you grow up on this Southern staple your whole life and then not have it, well... that's another post.

As soon as I entered Wegmans in PA, I couldn't believe my eyes! A grocery store that was also a food court with pizza, Chinese, sushi, and vegetarian stations. Each section of the store was brightly lit with in-your-face glass displays of ample food selections, signs above every station (Bakery, Meat, Cheese, Seafood, etc.), and lovely employees willing to take you where you needed to go. It was like big kid Disney World.

So when I read that a Wegmans was opening in New England back in October (the only one in New England thus far), I knew I had to be there on opening day to experience what hundreds of other people were craving as well. Seriously, I couldn't even get a cart on opening day (or carriage as they call them up here).

After a few months of letting the novelty die down, I trekked the 200 mile round trip journey to the Wegmans in Northborough, MA. And although I cleared my picture taking with management via Facebook the morning I went to the new store, the cheese counter employee got a bit squirrelly with me. Here are a few pics I was able to capture this past weekend.

Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. This post is really nice, I like it so much!!! These photos are amazing!!!
    Take a look and if you want we can follow each others: Cosa mi metto???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just might have to drive down there, looks like a great store (I'm in Salem, Ma). Just discovered your blog. I'm 39, blonde and trying to lose weight...we have a lot in common! Keep the great post coming.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, wegmans is amazing. I'll prob make another trip when the weather warms up as I want to also go to the Natick mall. Thanks for reading my blog posts. I try to post every day. Good luck with your weight loss! Weight Watchers helped me lose the first 20lbs and the next 11lbs came off with myfitnesspal.com. it really is about calories in calories out.
      Niki

      Delete