Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Closet Redo

Moving from Florida, where most homes are single story and modern, I had a big adjustment getting used to the homes in Connecticut. My husband and I must have looked at 30 houses before deciding on our current home. The main selling points being central air (you'd be amazed how many homes up here only have window units), newer furnace, and 2 bathrooms (only having one bathroom is very common in older homes in CT). Usually when you house shop in FL, the wish list includes "3-4 bedrooms, pool, 2 or more baths, 3-car garage, modern appliances, etc." Here, we really just wanted 2 bathrooms and newer mechanics (furnace, hot water heater, etc.)

My husband was concerned that it was small, but I thought it was cute and cozy (yep, it's small). I can't remember what cathedral ceilings feel like. The entire house is only about 1200 square feet, divided into 3 floors (main living area, partially finished basement, finished attic - but not dormered). It's a 1950s Cape Cod style house with lots of weird nooks and crannies. No walk in closets and weird slanty upstairs closets.

About a month ago, I reorganized the placement of our clothes. Husband now has the main bedroom closet and I have the three smaller closets upstairs (the one at the top of the stairs is for coats). As I was looking at one of the closets a little closer, I could see someone had drilled vertical metal slats into the wall, which means I can hang some wire shelving and gain some more space out of the tiny closet.  Currently, I have one horizontal pole situated toward the front of the closet where I hang all my clothes. Along the back wall, a prior owner notched out an old piece of wood to serve as the lonely shelf for my sweaters and jeans.

So after taking measurements, I headed to Home Depot and bought six metal brackets and two wire shelves that I had trimmed to my specs. I spent $25 on materials. I took all the clothes out of my closet and begin my closet redo. Husband had to hammer in the brackets and secure with some velcro ties. Hey, you gotta do what ya gotta do. The right side of the closet didn't have a metal slat to anchor in shelves. So I left that area free and decided to hang my dresses on the existing pole. Here's the before and after. I now have two tiers to hang my clothes.

Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete



  4. Found your blog. It is full of really good information. Thank you for sharing. If you ever need service on air conditioning repair please visit us at rheemteamcomfort.com. We would love it if you would have a look at some of our blogs and let us know your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When it's about home or small commercial cooling we think about electricity savings.I appreciate this blog to share this information.but in office what is the environment and culture? Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Get all concept of commercial air condition system in office from accutrolhvac.com.If you are finding human comfort and safety don't forget to get touch with our daily blogs..

    ReplyDelete