Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

SLR for Dummies!

So as I keep mentioning, my sweet husband bought me a wonderful Canon Rebel T3i for my 40th birthday last week. I finally had a chance to sit down last night and go through the manual. I only made it through about 20 pages before being overwhelmed. I've never had anything other than a smart phone camera or a simple point and shoot.

I'm the type of learner where I don't need all the detail at once. I want a few basics up front and as I get comfortable, give me some more information. Too much all at once and I can't remember much of anything. I also need a lot of visuals and examples. I need to see someone do something, tell me why, and show me how it applies to what I want to learn. I also need the big picture up front and to slowly ease into the details. And if there's a Step A and Step C, there sure better be a Step B. Maybe that's why I've been a technical writer for so long. I can get someone from Step A through Step D without skipping or assuming Steps B and C.

So I did some research today on finding a better way to learn about my new camera. I came across a couple of books and finally decided on a "Dummies" series. Since I know nothing about aperture, exposure, ISO, etc., I needed to find a book that didn't assume I had basic photography knowledge. I also needed to find a book specific to my camera, with loads of visuals and examples. This book was highly rated on Amazon.com and it's waiting for me at Barnes & Noble after work.

I'm pretty determined to be up and running with this camera and get some great fashion shots by the end of this weekend.  Wish me luck!







Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I'm in the market for a new camera. Just like you, I get overwhelmed with too many directions and gadgets. Excited to hear how you like this one, and if it's easy to use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a snowy day today so i'm in my pj's reading the manual. I'll be sure to post about the camera and what i've learned.

    ReplyDelete