Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

DIY Blue Glitter Shoes

While searching on the Internet for "DIY glitter shoes," I came across mostly gold-toned shoes. I wanted to do something different. I wanted blue shoes. The kind I could wear with a dark navy jacket and black skirt. Something that adds a little sparkle to an outfit but could still be daytime wearable. I have to admit that I did pick up the Martha Stewart Fine Glitter in Smoky Quartz as I thought I would duplicate what I had seen others do. However, the Azurite glitter is what I was drawn to and what I decided would be the color of my new sparklers.

Unlike other bloggers, I didn't have the perfect pair of pumps where the heels were jacked up. You see, I've only been wearing heels on a regular basis for a couple of months. At most, I could glitterize a pair of Bass oxfords. So I had to buy the shoes. I had a Groupon for Bluefly.com and searched for the cheapest pair of low-heeled pumps that weren't atrocious. I decided on these Corso Cormos in Silver. They ended up costing me $13 with a holiday sale + Groupon.

I found there were two methods to glitterizing your shoes. One - you could mix the glitter with the Mod Podge or two - you could apply the Mod Podge to your shoes and then dump the glitter all over the glue. I went with both methods. The first method just wasn't producing that lovely blue color that was in the bottle. When the glitter/glue mixture dried, I was left with light blue/white-ish/milky nastiness. So after applying two coats of the glitter/Mod Podge mixture, I then went with method two and got exactly what I was looking for.  I applied two coats of glue and two coats of glitter. I think they turned out lovely and can't wait to wear them. I have to apply a sealer so that the glitter doesn't flake off all over everything and then I'm good to go.

A few things to keep in mind:
  • The glitter gets EVERYWHERE. Make sure to do this project on newspapers and in an area you can easily clean up. I did this project in the unfinished side of our basement.
  • I also used the same paint brush but made sure I put plastic around the brush when I was done so that the brush wouldn't dry out.
  • Buy the matte Mod Podge, not the glitter one (like I did), unless you want to add other colors of glitter.
  • Lastly, I let each coat dry 24-48 hours. This was a week-long project.







Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment