Pages

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Bacon and pancakes on a diet?

Heck yes you can have bacon and pancakes on a reduced calorie diet! I have this combo almost every weekend. And I'm not talking turkey bacon, but full fat Oscar Mayer greasy goodness.


But how? If you are on a reduced calorie diet, as I am, then it's all about moderation. Did you know that 2 slices of bacon has 35 calories?! Let's talk about the pancakes and syrup. I measure and weigh almost all my foods when I cook at home. I have to. I don't trust myself otherwise. It's too easy to go overboard on portion size when you eyeball your food.


The pancake mix I use is Fiber One Complete. It's filling and tastes yummy. I measure 1/2 cup, mix with water, and pour 2 blobs into my Pancake Factory (for the pancake flipping challenged).  A 1/2 cup of Fiber One pancake mix has 180 calories.


You can't have pancakes without butter! I've tried a lot of light butters and the one that I think tastes as close to the real thing is Land 'O Lakes Light spreadable butter. I use 1/2 tablespoon. I use it on toast, veggies, dinner rolls, etc. I don't, however, use it when making Holiday cookies. You gotta use the real stuff when baking. Period.


I've never been one to slather my pancakes with syrup. I'm more of a dipper because I don't like soggy pancakes or waffles. So I measure 2 tablespoons of Hungry Jack Lite syrup into a small container and warm it in the microwave. This syrup can be hard to find in grocery stores as a lot of stores carry Hungry Jack Sugar Free syrup, which tastes like garbage. I've thrown away a full bottle of the sugar free stuff. I'm not kidding. It is foul! But the 'lite' version - neither my husband nor I can tell the difference between the lite and full sugared versions. Two tablespoons has just 50 calories! So slather away. I have found the Lite version at Target.


Total breakfast calorie count - 290.




Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment