Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Winged Eyeliner

Creating a cat eye or a wing with your eyeliner is probably one of the trickest makeup techniques. Most of the videos I watch on Youtube start with pulling the corner of the eye taut and then starting the application of the eyeliner in the middle of the lid to distribute the bulk of the product.


This method simply doesn't work for me. I have droopy, hooded eyes and when I pull the corner of my eye to apply eyeliner, the wing ends up pointing down. So I've come up with a method that works for my type of lid.


I normally use MAC Penultimate and NYC liquid liner. However, I received the Stila Stay All Day Liquid Eyeliner in Black in the mail last night. It had good reviews on makeupalley.com. The color payoff isn't as intense as the NYC liquid liner, but the felt tip allows for greater control.

I start with the outer guideline of the wing.


Looking down in the mirror, draw a slanted line from the end of your lid lash line to your crease.

Draw a thin line across your lid.

Connect the outer guideline to the lid line. Start a quarter of the way down from the outer guideline and draw a slanted line to the lid. This will form a triangle.

Fill in the triangle.

This is the other eye (my left eye). I'm right handed
so I cross my arm over to my left eye, rest my elbow
on my makeup table, and rest my right hand on my cheek.

I start with my outer guideline.

I draw a thin line across the lid.

I make a perpendicular line starting slightly lower on the outer guideline to leave the "tail" of the wing. I connect the line to the lower lid line and fill in the triangle.

I then make the lid line a little thicker from the middle to the outer corner so it doesn't look like I have a wonky triangle at the corner of my eye.





Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment